Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seized rear wheel on a 99 Forester

Any thoughts on what would be causing the passenger side rear wheel on my 99 Forester to seize? I'm finally trying to put the new engine in it but it's been sitting outside for a couple of months now. Could it have rusted that badly or has the parking brake seized inside the drum? Thanks!

There's several possibilities. If the emergency brake was set during this time, it may be stuck. Also the caliper may be sticking or the guide and/or lock pin may be stuck. I'm assuming this has rear disc brakes. Also the rotors sometimes get really rusty from sitting and that can make it drag a little bit until to brake enough to derust it.

Any thoughts on what would be causing the passenger side rear wheel on my 99 Forester to seize? I'm finally trying to put the new engine in it but it's been sitting outside for a couple of months now. Could it have rusted that badly or has the parking brake seized inside the drum? Thanks!

:banana: Figured it out. Took the wheel off and knocked the drum loose. Rolled without any problems. An update on my swap. So far so good. I've got everything disconnected from the original engine except for the exhaust and transmission. Hope to have it pulled tonight.