Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 TO EA81 wire colors help

azbret

I need help identifiing the wire colors on a 84 brat 4WD auto. I am needing to hook up the Tach, temp guage, check engine light and I'm sure some others...... I have a factory service manual (MSA 118) but it only shows the wiring diagram not the plugs, pinout or wire colors. Any help would be great.. I can see the connectors but don't know which wires I'm looking for.... I have tied into the round engine connector in the engine area for the oil pressure, are the other wires in that connector for any of the other wires I need to hook up?? THX Bret

the CEL is red w/ blue stripe

oil yellow w/black stripe

temp yellow no stripe

tach yellow w/green stripe

The VSS is a black connestor coming out of the back of the cluster from the speedo.

The CEL system is different with between ea and ej systems. The ea powers the light, and the ej grounds it. Get creative.

Keep in mind these colors aren't set in stone, they are from an 84 auto wagon 4x4 and may differ from the brat. But they are all on the same plug

I've found the connector. Tomorrow i'll test the wires... I'm down to my harness and exhaust... In the next few days it should be running; then I'll condense the harness. I've been thinking of making a mounting plate for the ECU and other components that would fit in the area that the spare tire used to be in, instead of triing to run all the wiring from inside the car....... THX Bret

Not too wet here in AZ, but it may not work out... it seems like a pain to bring the wires through to the engine area from the cab. I'll check it out more tomorrow.. Maybe I can find a place to cut a hole that would make for easier access.... THX Bret

No I didn't keep the tranny. What I've done is to put the entire running gear from a 90 legacy that is an AWD auto tranny with the manual override 4WD.... I changed the rear end (4:11), auto tranny and the EJ22 engine. The transaxle splined shafts are the same width as the EA81 tranny... so all I did was to change the inner CV joint to the correct spline count on my EA81 axles.

How did the tranny fit up in there? I was wondering if it'd go in nace and easy when I was looking at the tunnel...

The thought I had since you kept auto is, the hole for the clutch cable is still there in the body of an auto. It's down below the brake MC, you could route your wiring into the cabin through there, and be real close to the cluster.

I'll take a look at that.... it may work out perfectly. The tranny is a bit tight but it does fit in there. I made a custom crossmember for the tranny mounts. I welded 3"x3"x1/8" plates to 2 cutoff 1/2" bolts. those come down through from the cab ( recessed in the tar paper so they're flush and won't spin) then on through the unibody ribs under the car. I used 1 1/4" .090 square tubing with plates for the tranny mounts and bolts. I have also used the entire shift unit and center consol. When I try to upload pictures it says they're to big. I set my camera for 480x640... thats the smallest I have.... if I can figure it out I'll post pictures of the swap in stages. THX bret

I’ll figure out the pictures and get some posted of the swap. As for the shafts what I did was I measured the out side edges of the splined shafts on the EA 81 & the legacy’s transaxles. They are the same width. I believe that Subaru used this same Transaxle design for many years…… So all I did was to replace the inner CV axle joint of the legacy’s onto the EA 81 shafts. AS long as the shafts are the same diameter and the CV hub is the same diameter they use the same balls & cage: so you can just slide the hubs right on and reconnect the boots. Now I have EA 81 shafts that have the correct spline count for the Legacy transmission…… VIOLA’ THX Bret

I like how the center console looks almost stock, except for the color being different.

My local driveshaft shops won't extend one without replacing the whole tube. And that costs more than my hatch did:dead:

Did you use 2wd ea81 axles? I couldn't get the ej doj cups to fit on 4wd ea81 axles. I found a set of oe 2wd's and swapped off both the doj end and the cv joint for mine. As I plan to do ej front brakes and xt6 rears when I undertake my swap.

I'm not sure which type the axles were... I figured they were 4WD because they were 1" thick compared to the thinner Legacy's axles.

The interior colors of mt Brat are dark blue, but there are some pieces of grey here & there so the grey console doesn't look bad when I put in the Grey & blue Legacy seats..... Bret