Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL Hatchback - Timing Belts

Gonna do a timing belt job on my 88 GL Coupe (driver's side broke) and have ordered the kit on e-bay that includes the tensioners. I'm going to replace the waterpump while I'm in there also. What else should I do while I've got everything out of the way? I've got one oil leak I'm going to address on the front passenger's side which I believe is the valve cover gasket.

While you're doing the timing belts, I'd address all the possible oil leaking spots on the front.

Get new camshaft seals (there's a shaft seal, then an O-Ring), new front crank seal, then the oil pump seals. May also want to replace the water pump while in there.

FYI: You have an 88 Coupe. If you call it a hatchback, you're gonna get a bunch of people telling you it doesn't have timing belts. I remember going through it before though. Plus, when ordering parts, order them for a station wagon for the same reason.

You may want to pull your oil pump and reseal that also..O ring and mickey mouse gasket..they like to suck an ear in. might as well do like Mike said..valve covers cam seals oil pump gasket..water pump..dont forget a new O ring on that..replace you fan belt and AC belt too..

Thanks for the quick replies. Mike, I forgot about the hatchback thing thanks. Is the waterpump o-ring the one on the tube going into the waterpump or is there another one? I know there is a waterpump gasket that needs replacing as I've already pulled the pump. Maybe a dumb question but where exactly is the oil pump located?

How do I tell which waterpump to get? The Parts Bin has several to choose from. Thanks

If you un-click "Show universal parts", you have 9 to look at instead of 15. First is OHV, next 2 are RX, plus 2 gaskets. Only 4 left. Then it comes down to "Factory AC" (short, 105mm shaft) or "No AC or dealer-installed AC" (long, 110mm shaft). Only one for factory AC: 105mm pump. Three of the 110mm pumps. Now it's down to 6mm studs or 8mm. So that's what you need to check if no AC or dealer-installed.

just to make it crystal clear:

Factory installed AC compressors are mounted between the alternator and the power steering pump; Dealer installed AC has the compressor and the alternator switched.

Put another way: inboard AC compressor & outboard Alt == factory air, shorter water pump.

Inboard Alternator and outboard AC Comp == dealer air, taller water pump.

just to make it crystal clear:

Factory installed AC compressors are mounted between the alternator and the power steering pump; Dealer installed AC has the compressor and the alternator switched.

Put another way: inboard AC compressor & outboard Alt == factory air, shorter water pump.

Not quite so cut and dry. This would be true through 87.

In 88 or they made some changes. My 89 GL Turbo has the AC mounted outboard. It is a dealer added setup, theres a tag in the engine bay about the install kit. It has the short 105 waterpump though? Even with 6 years of FSMs for EA82 and countless Water pump purchases, I still can't find a hard and fast pattern of Dealer/factory/hitachi/Matsu************a/panasonic whatever AC corresponding to a length of pump. Even with a "concrete" rule, Don't count on parts companies to always have correct application listings with Subarus.

Basically if you're water pump pulley just slides onto studs in the pump hub, Between it and the fan, you have a 110(long). If you're pulley bolts onto the Water pump hub, and then the fan mounts to studs in the pulley, you have a 105(short).

Not quite so cut and dry. This would be true through 87.

In 88 or they made some changes. My 89 GL Turbo has the AC mounted outboard. It is a dealer added setup, theres a tag in the engine bay about the install kit. It has the short 105 waterpump though? Even with 6 years of FSMs for EA82 and countless Water pump purchases, I still can't find a hard and fast pattern of Dealer/factory/hitachi/Matsu************a/panasonic whatever AC corresponding to a length of pump. Even with a "concrete" rule, Don't count on parts companies to always have correct application listings with Subarus.

Basically if you're water pump pulley just slides onto studs in the pump hub, Between it and the fan, you have a 110(long). If you're pulley bolts onto the Water pump hub, and then the fan mounts to studs in the pulley, you have a 105(short).

LOL the swear filter wont let you say mat su shi ta

And i have been told that the studs/bolts question isnt cut and dry either, but I cannot quote any specific instance.

In short, apparently we need to say:

My statement about the inboard/outboard... and

your statement about the studs/bolts..

AND say that both should be true every time, but there will for some strange reasons be exceptions to the rule, and wish good luck.

I have been trying to get a good definitive but simple statement on which pump/which car for over a year now, just so that I could turn around and give it back out... every time I put it one way (this time I opted for the different AC setup explanation) someone says "Not always true.." and gives the other explanation.. so in short, read our statements, make your choice, buy a water pump and pray I guess.

speaking of the waterpump, I have learned unfortunatly, that If you do get the shorter shaft, if you use 4 nuts underneath the pulley, it spaces it perfectly as if it was the longer shaft one... I got the wrong one, parts store closed, and I was impatient, WOO HOO, its been running nice and cool for almost a year now :headbang: BUT I would always recommend getting the correct parts!