Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CAT & exhaust ?????s

azbret

I’ve done the EJ22 into an 84 Brat conversion with 3” lift… My problem is that the exhaust hits so it won’t bolt up. Even with the extra flanges used for spacers and the heat shields removed it still hits. So I don’t really want to lower the exhaust too much for clearance reasons…

So my ? is how far back on the exhaust can a CAT & O2 sensor be… There is tons of room for it back past the transmission. Is this something I could do????

I’ve done the EJ22 into an 84 Brat conversion with 3” lift… My problem is that the exhaust hits so it won’t bolt up. Even with the extra flanges used for spacers and the heat shields removed it still hits. So I don’t really want to lower the exhaust too much for clearance reasons…

So my ? is how far back on the exhaust can a CAT & O2 sensor be… There is tons of room for it back past the transmission. Is this something I could do????

When I was using the stock WRX exhaust on my wagon, the 2nd cat (the one with the O2 sensor) was well past the bellhousing - I would say the 02 sensor was almost to the tailshaft. If you were doing something custom, I am betting you could go back a bit more.

That sounds good. I could run pipe back fairly well consealed, then back near the drive shaft I can put the CAT. I don't know much about CAT's do I need to use the same one or just the sensor??? If I get a exhaust system installed will they need to use the subie stuff or can they use something different altogether??? ThX Bret

That sounds good. I could run pipe back fairly well consealed, then back near the drive shaft I can put the CAT. I don't know much about CAT's do I need to use the same one or just the sensor??? If I get a exhaust system installed will they need to use the subie stuff or can they use something different altogether??? ThX Bret

Typically, on a catted system, the O2 is mounted in one of the cats.

If you get some other exhaust, it will probably have to be made. At that point you are pretty much free to do whatever you want. From the turbo to the tip of my exhaust, the only subaru part is the downpipe flange. And thats from a WRX :lol: . My O2 is mounted in the downpipe, pretty close to the stock location, but theres no cat there. I simply run 2.5 inch all the way back with a dynomax muffler.