Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Junior'

Ok, so 3AT will forever suck a fat one in my book. I've been pampered too much by the wife's 98 Leg L (4EAT I think, 4 spd auto for sure) and Vicki's 5MT... In 'Junior' I always seem to want to shift from third to the next... but I'll live.

I haven't had too much free time to poke around everywhere, but the front side markers/parking lights need at the very least new bulbs. Might do the turn signal rewire for the side markers while I'm there; Vicki was supposed to get it, but I was waiting on that.

The speedo sticks like a champ ~60-85. I know, speeding over 85 (heck, 70 out here), but how else am I supposed to see what its got? Down hill ran out about 90, so I couldn't see for sure how high she could go. Vicki made a 102 MPH run (Down hill of course) a day or two before she died, so I'll just assume Junior can get that close. I read the forum about how to fix. I don't care enough, though, as travel at 65+ is much more rare now that the wife is closer.

Big issue (for my own reasons) is that the odometer reads 2.1 miles for every 2 miles driven (or 1.05 to 1). Is there a way to fix this? I know that the speedo reads right. Stupid cop (I respect law enforcement, but this guy was a real idiot) confirmed that one for me (hehe 47 in a 30). On the plus side, when 200000 rolls around, it'll be a tad sooner... I hope to have that recorded.

There's also a nice sounding exhaust leak. Makes Junior grumble like a Mac truck. Only side effect is the exhaust seems to like being in the cabin with me, so eventually it will have to be fixed.

I got one heck of a deal on Junior. New trans, newer tires, new brakes, new AC, new belts (all), newer water pump, newer alt, fresh oil and filter change... And one major thing Vicki didn't have: STOCK STEREO!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: although all the buttons are stripped of their black paint, leaving me to assume what they are.

Is there anything common with '88 GL Sedans that I should look out for, that wouldn't be so common with an '86 GL-10? I think Vicki threw almost everything at me at one point or other so I don't think that there will be much new.

nothing that should throw you TOO off, but it IS a totally different engine, intake-wise from the turbo car.. vicki WAS a turbo GL-10, right?

I have the SPFI, 3at, 2wd so engine and trans wise I am identical to Junior (even though my car may sound more like vicki) and I made it up to 102 once on a flat grade, just a hair above sea level. (that describes the everglades fairly well, actually.. a flat grade, just a hair above sea level :lol:)

As for your odometer problem... it makes no sense.. the speedo and the odometer run off the same gears, so I dont know, thats a strange one. How did you get this "calibration" measurement?

Big issue (for my own reasons) is that the odometer reads 2.1 miles for every 2 miles driven (or 1.05 to 1). Is there a way to fix this? I know that the speedo reads right.

I've noticed the same thing in all my subies. Go 5 miles through a speedo test section and the Odometer reads 5.1 or 5.2 . Even my legacy does this. I think they engineer speedometers to read slightly higher, rather than slightly lower, than you're actual speed. So you don't *accidentaly* speed due to an off speedometer. My GLs speedo is so sticky,(slow from 70 to 50, speedo holds for 3-7 seconds then drops quick to 50)But even once it steadys it reads 2-3 MPH faster than radar at highway speeds. Legacy speedo not sticky, but still reads 2-3 fast.

Speed reading high=distance reading high.

hrmn...

So basically, just live with it... No worries, then. Not like having extra miles will hurt resale value that much...

As for "calibration" measurement, I just use the mile markers on the side of the road. Especially where I've been with Vicki already to check accuracy (seeing that she was more or less dead on); I know that just because it says "55" then "56", "57", etc. on the mile posts doesn't mean that it was a full mile in between. However, most that I have found were accurate (other vehicles used to test the theory).

I just don't like having to calculate MPG with an extra variable... the equation "M/G=MPG" turns into "(M*1.05)/G=MPG"... this of course brings MPG down about 2-4 depending on the other 2 variables; but I've only filled it up twice.