Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad front diff/transaxle noise with movie...

Hi everyone. I need your diagnostic help on this one.

Its a '97 Outback SW AT that is making a horrible noise when under any kind of load. Accelerate or decellerate. I have just replaced the right front halfshaft and now its even louder. Both boots were totally blown and I was hoping it was the CV or DOJ but I may not be so lucky. The drivers side boots look fine so I haven't investigated them but the car lurches with each "click" you hear on the movie. I had to drive it up a very short hill to get near my garage and it was lurching violently every 6 inches or so. Needless to say, I went very slowly. It doesn't seem to matter if the wheels are turned lft or rt or center. The sound and lurch are the same. I'm hoping it's not the front transaxle but...

Any thoughts appreciated!

I'm not getting any cells except a 0743 torque converter electrical circuit which has not come back since a reset.

Also, the noise was present before the halfshaft was replaced.

Help!

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subynoiselftfg2.flv

:confused:

Sounds like the wheel is hitting on something....check out your dust shields and what not around your wheels. It sounds like metal on metal somewhere up front...

Thanks. Yeah, its metal on metal alright but sounds deeper than something rubbing or scraping. I'll check the shields but I doubt it would make the car lurch like it does which doesn't come across in the video. I'd be happy if it was that! Are there any ways to tell if its the transaxle vs. other parts?

BTW, I had both front wheels off the ground earlier and I could rotate each one independently and didn't feel anything beyond a small amount of backlash play. I also rotated the passenger side wheel with the other on the ground and it was difficult to turn but didn't feel abnormal or binding in any way. When driven it feels like something is about to blow up front. It feels like the front wheels are binding and releasing repeatedly. If you go above walking speed, the whole car shakes VIOLENTLY.

I've heard it before... A BLOWN FRONT DIFF. Aside from the sound, there is a violent jerking in the car while moving too 'eh? You'll need a diff case (with ring gear) and the pinion shaft that goes with it at a minimum.

May be easier to just swap trannies...

Lewis

I've heard it before... A BLOWN FRONT DIFF. Aside from the sound, there is a violent jerking in the car while moving too 'eh? You'll need a diff case (with ring gear) and the pinion shaft that goes with it at a minimum.

May be easier to just swap trannies...

Lewis

I bet (unfortunately) you're right. The last clue is that the jerk/shudder happens every 6 times exactly per tire revolution.

How much am I looking at for a used tranny swap approx.?

I bet (unfortunately) you're right. The last clue is that the jerk/shudder happens every 6 times exactly per tire revolution.

How much am I looking at for a used tranny swap approx.?

300-500 labor depending on the shop, then you need to supply a tranny or buy theirs... guessing $200-800 in parts

Lewis