Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle Stub Seal

For anyone who read my dilemma in the "%$^&*@$^* Roll Pin!" Thread last week I am happy to say that the torch worked like a champ at removing the punch stuck in the pin mess. Unfortunately I believe it did in the seal around the axle stub as I started getting a thick dark fluid leaking out from what appears to be the transmission. My question now is how does one go about replacing that seal and is it something I can pick up at the (not so) local Subie stealership or maybe even a NAPA/Autozone type place? I've run searches and searched my trusty copy of How to Keep Your Subaru Alive to no avail. The searches return a few threads about mid-90's Loyales with this issue but nothing I could find regarding mid 80's EA series cars (or trucklets as the case may be). This is an 85 Brat with the 4-speed manual. Thanks in advance for any help.

i got my seals from advance auto, (91 loyale 4x4 auto), dont know if Subaru uses different sizes, ill look up the receipt and try to get the part #, go to the commercial desk or ask for a manager, they may have to look it up in a book, if it doesn't show up on the computer most stupid clerks say "oops we don't have it", when in reality they do..

I think I may have lucked out. When I pulled the axle last night I cleaned out the area around the stub and everything looked intact. I think what I saw dripping was just built up old axle grease that had melted from the heat. I assume anything actually leaking from that seal would be trans. fluid (red) of which there was none. Either way I'm gonna keep an eye on it once I get her back on the road which (God willing) should be today when I get a new battery. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of being able to drive her again. My goal was to have it roadworthy by the beginning of tailgating season which starts Saturday for us and it looks like I'm gonna make it! :clap::clap::clap::banana::banana::banana::headbang::headbang::headbang:

It's one of these 2 Subaru Part #s

Either, 8067 30032, 30mmx50mmx9mm(this is the one listed for 4wd)

Or, 8067 27040, 27mmx45mmx9mm(this one is listed for automatics and 2wd, non turbo MT)

Measur you'res and compare size and that will tell you for sure. Or just order a sela of that size, whether it's "listed" for you're car or not.

i think yours is an automatic since you mentioned "red fluid"? if it's an automatic, red fluid will not leak from that seal behind the axle stub. the automatics are mated to the front differential as an assembly and the front differential has differential fluid in it...the thick nasty smelling stuff. so it won't be red. those seals are difficult to replace and the process to reinstalling the retaining plate is very crucial.

i think yours is an automatic since you mentioned "red fluid"? if it's an automatic, red fluid will not leak from that seal behind the axle stub. the automatics are mated to the front differential as an assembly and the front differential has differential fluid in it...the thick nasty smelling stuff. so it won't be red. those seals are difficult to replace and the process to reinstalling the retaining plate is very crucial.

Nope, it's a 4-speed manual. The red fluid was leaking from 3 small bolts at the rear of the transmission. It is apparently a very slow leak though as it mostly sat for close to two years and I never saw anything on the floor. As for the axle seal it is apparently fine; I drove the car around all last week and so far nothing appears to be leaking from there.

• 13 years later...
On 8/29/2007 at 1:14 PM, Gloyale said:

It's one of these 2 Subaru Part #s

Either, 8067 30032, 30mmx50mmx9mm(this is the one listed for 4wd)

Or, 8067 27040, 27mmx45mmx9mm(this one is listed for automatics and 2wd, non turbo MT)

Measur you'res and compare size and that will tell you for sure. Or just order a sela of that size, whether it's "listed" for you're car or not.

It’s 80672740 which has been superseded 806727170 and the other side which is 806727180. Each side is a different part number.

https://parts.darrellwaltripsubaru.com/a/Subaru__Loyale/__6023456/DIFFERENTIAL-TRANSMISSION-MT/A11-190-A1.html