Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wish to sell my 98 Forester

I live in Southern NH and was wondering how much I should ask for my 98 Forester. I have repair and maintenence history of everything I have done to it, and also a couple of things that the previous owner has had replaced from the dealership. It is in great condition but has high miles. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a starting price for this area, I want to purchase something newer. Thanks.

How many miles, which engine, which transmission, and which trim level?

What's the maintenance history?

These are the key elements in determining the price. Edmunds.com, KBB.com, and NADA.com will also give you ballpark ideas, but right now their prices seem to be over inflated on everything.

How many miles, which engine, which transmission, and which trim level?

What's the maintenance history?

These are the key elements in determining the price. Edmunds.com, KBB.com, and NADA.com will also give you ballpark ideas, but right now their prices seem to be over inflated on everything.

Mileage is 174048, 2.5 DOHC, manual trans, and it's the Sport version.

Maintence history: oil changes every 3k, new front and rear brakes (pads and rotors) - not even a year old, new clutch, new 3 season michelin tires, and new snow tires, 4 new struts, knock sensor, new o2 sensors. I replaced a bunch of stuff mostly because I was not sure of some of those things ever being replaced. Also previous owner had brake master cylinder, and starter replaced due to recalls.

Mileage is 174048, 2.5 DOHC, manual trans, and it's the Sport version.

Maintence history: oil changes every 3k, new front and rear brakes (pads and rotors) - not even a year old, new clutch, new 3 season michelin tires, and new snow tires, 4 new struts, knock sensor, new o2 sensors. I replaced a bunch of stuff mostly because I was not sure of some of those things ever being replaced. Also previous owner had brake master cylinder, and starter replaced due to recalls.

I'd list it at $3750 and be hopeful that you get $3000 for it, but not surprised if you get closer to $2500.

I'd start a 4.5k, then let them talk you down. Foresters seem to go for more than legacys for some reason.

Truedat. At least that's what people are asking for them. It's hard to say what they're actually selling for.

My 98 Impreza was listed at $4500, but I got it for $3000.

One other question I didn't think to ask: how quickly do you need to sell? If you can wait, list it high and wait for someone to bite, but be prepared to wait a month or more. If you need or want to sell it faster, list it lower.

Truedat. At least that's what people are asking for them. It's hard to say what they're actually selling for.

My 98 Impreza was listed at $4500, but I got it for $3000.

One other question I didn't think to ask: how quickly do you need to sell? If you can wait, list it high and wait for someone to bite, but be prepared to wait a month or more. If you need or want to sell it faster, list it lower.

I have some time to sell it. I don't want to sell it for nothing. I see a few of them in this area, but they seem to sell better in northern NH so I might try to sell it around there.