Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rpm questions...

Hey to all! I took the xt out on the interstate today just for a few miles. At 70mph, I'm turning about 4100rpms. It's a 5speed manual. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the ratio is on these cars? It's an 88xt...ea82 non-turbo...5 speed. If I ever get the car running properly, what type of mileage could I expect to get from it? It has 144,000 miles on it. I would imagine that the high rpms at interstate speeds hurts the mpg. Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Thanks Mike. It's a fwd. It just kinda 'wierds me out' to know that I'm running those kinds of rpms just trying to cruise to work on the interstate. I guess it's kinda normal huh?

if you're used to low-revving engines I can see why it freaks you out, but these engines love to rev and can turn 5k all day long witout a hitch

in fact, if I drive 130kmh it's turning over at 3300rpm and boosting, if I drive 150kmh it revs to 4200rpm and doesn't have to use the turbo, so we can see here that the engine is actually more efficient at 4200 rpm then at 3300rpm, so higher revs are not necessarily going to kill your mileage

not sure about the XT, but my old EA82 Wagon, FWD, 5 Speed was getting 32-34 for mileage in the summer - average speed around 62 mph - country driving (not city, not freeway)

dropped to 28-30 in the winter time with warm up and all...

average RPM reading around 3000-3250 at the above mentioned speed. Seems yours is revving a little higher than the ol wagon did, so your mileage may be a little less.

oh, car had over 220K on her too. :)