Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 power steering wiring

j2coe

for the electrical motor for the power steering, the service manual shows in the wiring diagram a wire to the fusable link box labled W8 that connects to the positive terminal along with the red lead from the lead from the control box. there is one of the 10 gague white wires that is disconnected near the motor. in the diagram of the power steering motor it shows a blue wire along with the red wire but no white wire. there was a small blue wire attached to the positive terminal but it was loose and not connected to anything on the other end. anyone who knows how these are connected please enlighten me. thanks so much!

for the electrical motor for the power steering, the service manual shows in the wiring diagram a wire to the fusable link box labled W8 that connects to the positive terminal along with the red lead from the lead from the control box. there is one of the 10 gague white wires that is disconnected near the motor. in the diagram of the power steering motor it shows a blue wire along with the red wire but no white wire. there was a small blue wire attached to the positive terminal but it was loose and not connected to anything on the other end. anyone who knows how these are connected please enlighten me. thanks so much!

I have an '89 XT6. I will look at my wiring tomorrow and send a pic of how mine is wired.

thanks I love it when even the factory service manual seems to contradict itself. makes it much harder to clean up other peoples messes.

That blue wire which is not part of the regular bundle was installed as part of a recall on the ps unit. It is supposed to be connected. There are some posts on subaruxt.com regarding this, try a search on "power steering recall".

If you want me to I will have a look at mine and see where it goes.

good luck

gm

well I found 1 post about the blue wire on the XT site and it shows where it goes to the harness so I have that end sorted out. nothing on where it connects to the motor :rolleyes: . the other end is small so it has to go to the negative pole or the ground won't fit the positive pole so that narrows it down. I'll have to go out and look in the morning I think I marked it on the motor it was the negative pole but I don't remember, that may have been the regular negtative blue lead from the controler. so I guess the white lead from the fusable link box does go to the positive pole then with the red lead from the power controler.

Not sure if these pics will help...I didn't check the terminus of the small blue wire except that one end goes into a wire loom headed toward the drivers side firewall and the other headed towards the passengers side fenderwell. I will have to check closer tomorrow when I am at work where the car is stored.

post-19565-136027625019_thumb.jpg

post-19565-136027625036_thumb.jpg

post-19565-136027625044_thumb.jpg

post-19565-136027625049_thumb.jpg

thanks superwho. looks like exactly like what I needed. I found the little blue wire information on the XT site last night, took a lot of searching. but you just finished off what I needed. many thanks. I just rebuilt it with new brushes and drained it and filling with new subaru PS fluid so I'll be firing it up tonight to see if I have PS now. thanks again for the pics!

Glad I could help. Wish I had an XT6 that was driveable. Would love to know how they ride. I have one that I bought as a parts donor for an ER27 Loyale project. Most of the parts will be stripped and sold, same for the XT 1.8 NA car. Funny what 20 years of salt bath will do to sheet metal! LOL

well seems to run, just bled the system of air but the power steering light won't go off. don't know what that's about. I'll have to see anyone have any ideas? I'll drive it around and see if it changes but its been idling for 20 minutes and no change.