Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just failed inspection for a cracked windshield, has a couple nice runs through it. I was curious about opinions on local v national glass shops. Also, what "molding" should be used.

I have Diamond Auto Glass and Safelite Auto Glass that are nearby, also have a local shop who does the windshields for the Subaru dealer. All the prices are about the same ~$240.

My bigger question is on moldings.. the places all quoted me a price on using a universal molding- if they don't re-use the original one. Any thoughts on this? Seems the OEM molding runs about $110...

Cheers!

I just had mine replaced on my XT6 from Diamond...they usually have to bend and trash the moldings to get them off..thats why they mention the universal etc...after watching it done..there really isnt much of a way around it. I will never sweat at the price of the glass..after seeing and helping this guy for over 2 hours to fix mine. We used the universal molding and it looks fine..you dont even notice it. The guy did good work considering what he had to work with...a 20 Y/O car with a bad previous replacement...a ton of caulking and some rust undernieth...we even fixed it while it was out.

Just failed inspection for a cracked windshield, has a couple nice runs through it. I was curious about opinions on local v national glass shops. Also, what "molding" should be used.

I have Diamond Auto Glass and Safelite Auto Glass that are nearby, also have a local shop who does the windshields for the Subaru dealer. All the prices are about the same ~$240.

My bigger question is on moldings.. the places all quoted me a price on using a universal molding- if they don't re-use the original one. Any thoughts on this? Seems the OEM molding runs about $110...

Cheers!

I'm pretty biased against Safelite, but have heard good things about Diamond and Royal Auto Glass. Safelite has done 3 windshields for me since they're my insurance company's preferred shop, but they've done a pretty shoddy job each time. The first time they used the universal molding and installed glass with the greenish-blue shadeband when I specifically requested they use glass without the shadeband, and I had to bring the car back twice because the windshield leaked. On the second car they worked on, they ripped the hell out of my headliner, and again put in glass with the shadeband when I asked them not too. On the third car, they once again used a shadeband windshield when I asked them not too, and they did such a poor job lining up the molding that the cowls (which they mangled when they removed them) at the bottom corners of the windshield would no longer fit on properly.

That's interesting. I've had the windshield on wife's '02 OBW replaced 2 times now; both were done by Safelite. The first was done maybe 3 years ago, and the second just last month. I did not have any problems with either one. No leaks, windnoise, or anything else to complain about on the first replacement. It's raining today for the first time in about a month, so will see how the second replacement holds up.

I used Safelite because they were preferred by my insurance company. All I had to pay was the $50.00 deductible each time. Also, when I submitted my claim on-line, the insurance co. linked me directly up with Safelite. So, I was able to handle everything on-line and I had the windshield replaced in my driveway the next day.

I'm sure the skills of the techs vary a lot from shop to shop, regardless of the name over the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had my windshield replaced last week. Guy was great, sat out there and chatted with him the whole time. Took about 45mins for the install. Sat for an hour after that and I was good to go. Apparently the new DOW sealant is very good.

He does all the windshields for the local (Flemington, NJ) Subaru Dealer and one of the local Honda dealers. He works for the national chain "Novus". As mentioned I'm sure there are good/bad people working for any company.

He re-used the existing gasket. I'll have to take some pix when I get a chance.

AAA has a glass service, but the closest one is in Philly.

Some relevant threads.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75322

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68930

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47258

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1260

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18600

It's best to reuse the stock molding if possible the after market ones never fit quite as nicely. If you know a local shop that has a good reputation go for that otherwise Safelite has a coast to coast warranty and if there is a problem they will keep sending a tech until your satisfied. Beware of the Glass they use though always request OEM, PPG, or LOF. Safelite has their own Glass company and on some models the glass can be very distorted. They can't charge you more than your deductible no matter what glass you request.

-Rob

Former Safelite tech

Thanks Rob, good info. I'm guessing the re-use of the molding is up to the individual tech, since the Safelite place I called said they would definitely use an after-market replacement.

I looked at my glass and it says "Pilkington". Seems good, no distortions that I notice. No noticeable wind noise.

Cheers.

I got a wide variety of answers when I had a windshield done in a '98 OBW. Priced ranged on the low end with the companies that gave me a price assuming they reused the windshield trim. They would only comment that they may or may not have to replace the trim, and understandably, they won't know until they try to remove the old stuff if it can be re-used. The higher prices I got were for companies that were going to install new trim regardless. They didn't want to mess with used trim. I've used safelite in the past and never had problems. A lot of it just depends on your local rep. If you have a bad one, then it can certainly give safelite a bad name. They did a nice job for me though.

Thanks Rob, good info. I'm guessing the re-use of the molding is up to the individual tech, since the Safelite place I called said they would definitely use an after-market replacement.

I looked at my glass and it says "Pilkington". Seems good, no distortions that I notice. No noticeable wind noise.

Cheers.

Pilkington is the same as Libby Owens Ford (LOF) I forgot they changed the name a while back. They will usually quote with the molding and if they can reuse they will. You should get that cost knocked off if it is a cash job but if it is insurance they get charged either way. Glad it went smoothly:)

-Rob

Have you considered replacing it yourself? I've done that on several of my cars, not very hard to do especially if you have a T-handle tool and some U-418 adhesive. Usualy cost about 100 for the glass and 10-20 for the goo.

Whoops, just noticed you already replaced it... oh well