Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know the cats are warratied for 100k or 10 years on an 03 Legacy so does that mean that the pipe is as well. The wife's POS has developed a bee hive around 3k that makes the SVX pipes seem silent. Can't wait to rid myself of this lemon but that's still a few years off.

the warranty you're thinking of is the 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions component performance warranty. All it covers is that the catalytic converter, ECM, and OBDII communications will funcion properly till that time/milage runs out...never says anything about noise, just function. If the cat is still working properly as judged by the onboard emissions detecting equipment (or maybe an emissions detecting gas analizer...not sure about that though), it won't be warrantied.

The buzzing noise youre hearing might be the baffles inside the resonator have broken. you could probably price it from Subaru (probably not cheap), or have an exhaust shop diagnose it and replace it with just another resonator (likely MUCH cheaper), since the car is outside the factory warranty unless you bought a service contract of some sort.

~Erik~

the warranty you're thinking of is the 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions component performance warranty. All it covers is that the catalytic converter, ECM, and OBDII communications will funcion properly till that time/milage runs out...never says anything about noise, just function. If the cat is still working properly as judged by the onboard emissions detecting equipment (or maybe an emissions detecting gas analizer...not sure about that though), it won't be warrantied.

The buzzing noise youre hearing might be the baffles inside the resonator have broken. you could probably price it from Subaru (probably not cheap), or have an exhaust shop diagnose it and replace it with just another resonator (likely MUCH cheaper), since the car is outside the factory warranty unless you bought a service contract of some sort.

~Erik~

No it isn't a resonator. It is in the y pipe. Last freaking new Subaru I buy, they're now built by GM rejects!

To be honest, the quality of the build in Subarus has gotten better and better recently, Subaru is really trying to move up-market.

just still shooting in the dark, since I cant see the car personally, but it could be a heat shield rattling...Subaru uses a lot of heat shielding, and if it gets loose, it'll rattle a lot. That's pretty easily fixed, the quick-and-dirty method being screw a screw into a hole in the shield that's rattling, but kind of sideways so as it screws in, it'll just wedge itself inbetween the shield and pipe. don't puncture anything, just get it wedged in there good and tight.

noises like that could be a number of things...I would go get an estimate at least so you aren't dreading the worst when it may or may not be just a quick and simple fix...good luck

~Erik~