Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 WAGON keep it alive

Soon I will be buying an EA81 4x4 wagon.I am thinking its an 84 because of the quad headlights and DR 4 speed.Anyway it has 225K showing on the clock.Besides replacing the tstat with an oem one,and replacing the radiator with a new one what steps can I do so it will last a resonable amount of time?tired of subaru's blowing headgaskets like they are going outta style.

You sir can call me robert!This time I might actually have other people help me change headgaskets should they choose to blow.or I could ditch the engine and transfer case and put the body on a GM frame...where the car is I could get a nice s10 frame complete with running gear and 4.3L engine for 200..it would be big...

The EA81 won't blow a head gasket unless you overheat it. Watch the temp gauge and make sure you have the coolant topped off!

I've put just about 15,000 on my EA81 Turbo. The engine has 154K on it. Has yet to even wink at a bad head gasket. Its running strong and stays cool. If my Turbo can keep from blowing a head gasket, your N/A can too.