Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW Camshaft Position Sensor - there are two?

Hi Folks

I have a '96 Legacy Outback wagon, 2.2l 5 speed.

Through some tests, it seems I might need a Camshaft position sensor.

On some parts sites, there is only one sensor offered.

On a few others, there are two for that model year....

one for the first half of the year

the other for the second half of the year [this is the one offered on the other sites]

I checked the body plate by the driver's door and it says 5/1996, and the inside of the oil cap [someone told me this is a good motor date] says 3/96.

So, it seems that mine is for the first half of the year. Sadly, this one is TWICE the price of the other [meaning ~100 instead of ~50] grrrr

Although i am not someone to 'save' money by buying the wrong part...does anyone know what changed in the car that made this higher cost part necessary? It seems that for the earlier and later model years, the prices are closer to $50 than $100, thus this one was a 'blip'

Hi. I see only one camshaft position sensor and one crankshaft position sensor...

22056AA062 SENSOR CAMSHAFT ASSEMBLY 1995-2004 LEGACY OUTBACK 2.2 & 2.5 for cars produced upto 2 of 2004 (about $50 from Subaru dealers who sell parts online - sounds like it is the same or cheaper than aftermarket plus you can get the OEM part! Anytime you order from a Subaru dealer just give your VIN and they know all your parts based on that.)

22053AA052 SENSOR, CRANKSHAFT ASSEMBLY 1995-1999 LEGACY OUTBACK 2.2 & 2.5 ALL (about $31)

(extra info you didn't ask for but I thought I'd post anyway....)

camshaft-position-sensor-96a.gif

camanglesensor1.jpg