Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm New Here and Need Help

Hey all,

I just found this site tonight and thought I had better join in. I do own an old Subaru DL that I am looking for info on. I do not know the year nor much about these cars other than that I love the "boxer" thats in my car. However, I am in serious need for parts for it. Whenever I try to find parts for it using the serial number from the car it comes up that the serial number is incorrect. I have been told numerous times that there is not enough digits in the serial number. This is even at the closest Subaru dealerships to me. These dealerships also tell me they do not have any info for these cars this old...... Please help me out.

canadian dealerships don't know anything about subies before 1990... it's pretty lame... but give us your VIN # and somebody here can probably figure out the year and all that good stuff...

what is wrong with it?

posting a few pictures would be a big help in identifying it.:)

canadian dealerships don't know anything about subies before 1990... it's pretty lame... but give us your VIN # and somebody here can probably figure out the year and all that good stuff...

what is wrong with it?

posting a few pictures would be a big help in identifying it.:)

Well to tell you the truth there is not alot wrong with the powertrain but the body itself is shot. The reasoning I need a headgasket is there is a broken off spark plug. My Bro-in-law (BIG *********************) was changing the plugs and could not break one loose and eventually broke one off. The meathead then tried an easyout and twisted that off in the remainder of the plug. I wasn't around at the time so....

I have pics on the other computer and will try to post them tomorrow.

VIN # A26L-732902

Well to tell you the truth there is not alot wrong with the powertrain but the body itself is shot. The reasoning I need a headgasket is there is a broken off spark plug. My Bro-in-law (BIG *********************) was changing the plugs and could not break one loose and eventually broke one off. The meathead then tried an easyout and twisted that off in the remainder of the plug. I wasn't around at the time so....

I have pics on the other computer and will try to post them tomorrow.

VIN # A26L-732902

No sweat,headgaskets show up all the time on eBay. No longer stocked by Subaru of America,but some are still floating around.

Most dealers know nothing about this car. That's where this cool little community comes in.

Enjoy!

It's a lot harder to decode pre-1980 VINs, but from what I can tell, yours is a 2-door sedan. I can't tell you a year though.

If it has an EA71, then the headgaskets are NOT obsolete from SOA. Emily at CCR was told that incorrectly from her dealer when she made that thread. I just checked inventory on them (part #11044AA180), and there are 13 in the country.

It's a lot harder to decode pre-1980 VINs, but from what I can tell, yours is a 2-door sedan. I can't tell you a year though.

If it has an EA71, then the headgaskets are NOT obsolete from SOA. Emily at CCR was told that incorrectly from her dealer when she made that thread. I just checked inventory on them (part #11044AA180), and there are 13 in the country.

Actually the car itself is scrap or for parts if someone wants. I basically stripped the car last winter because I had a use for the motor and tranny. Plans have changed now and I will be just using the wiring harness engine and lights. What I am building is a low ground pressure tracked skidder and am going to use the engine as its power supply. The engine won't be worked hard as it will just be running a couple of hydaulic pumps and the little bit of electrical for lighting etc. This thing will be very similar to those snocats they use for pulling trail groomers, only smaller.

I will have some parts available if one needs. The car I believe is a 75/76 era DL frontwheel drive. The tranny is good and so are the transaxles....