Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Always check for broken parts after getting back

TeamCF

Went to go do some off-roading today.

Got in the GL warmed it all up got the the highway and noticed that the sterring wheel was turned right in order to go straight.....

hmmmm didn't notice this on the way home last time I went wheeling (wed night up Goat)

But I do remember hitting that gimungous rock that sounded like it wreaked havoc all the way down the car.

Pulled over and took a peek.

It did do the damage it was hoping for.

bentarm.jpg

Looks like I ned some new bits under there.

Man, I really was wanting to hit a few trails today.

Thats what I get for not checking it over when I got home. Then I would have had time to fix it. (Maybe, I can hardly ever make it out to the JY these days. So it will proly sit bent in the drive for awhile, glad it's not my daily driver)

Yeah those happen.You should do what i did and you will be amazed at what you can smash without bending radius rods.Just cut a lenth of 1x1" angle iron and place it on the top of the rod(to maintain as much clearance as possible but dosnt matter.)And weld the angle iron to the rod...voila its now about twice as hard to bend.

Yeah those happen.You should do what i did and you will be amazed at what you can smash without bending radius rods.Just cut a lenth of 1x1" angle iron and place it on the top of the rod(to maintain as much clearance as possible but dosnt matter.)And weld the angle iron to the rod...voila its now about twice as hard to bend.

I was thinking of something like that.

I also thought maybe just put big triangle pieces of plate to kind of box in the whole thing. I really can't actually see ever taking the rod and arm apart (even to change axles I don't unbolt it) so a big one piece part would proly prove to be bullet proof. Then I can see myself bending up the mounts on the body if I hit something.... hehe. But I like your idea better I think.

I got it all fixed now. Like $18 at the JY for the arm and rod and it had a good (almost looks new) ball joint in it. I already had a new one in but this way I didn't have to break out the puller today.

Dain']take that same agnle iron' date=' and weld it to your stock mustache bar for reinforcment. I never thought of doing to the ole' front suspension parts though:Flame:[/quote']

Definitely a good idea. :)

Especially for those with welded diffs/bigger tires.

1/4 inch plate the base of the control arm. cut and sleeve the strut bar with 1/4" thick tube, and you'll never bend another. i've dragged that combination across all sorts of rocks and bumped into all sorts of stuff in arizona. still haven't bent another one. the strut arms and ctl arms bend easy, welcome to wheeling a soob.