Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Imp on 08 Imp in real snow

I finally got to drive my 08 Imppy in some real snow...and here is my first impression.

Awesome!! She is poetry in motion..My street was un-plowed ( which is unusual actually) 6-7 inches down..white out conditions..She just chugged right through ...should I mention that its about 2 miles from the main road to my house and my street is hilly curve and fun when its dry. There is a off camber down slopped turn right before my driveway..that when it snows we take bets on how many cars are going to hit the guard rail....She just kept in control the whole time..Now I wasnt flying but I wasnt creeping either.

OK I dont like the anti-lock brakes...but if you lighten up on the pedal you can control them bettwe..Also if gassing it hard and turning at same time..it will kick the back out but its so easy to bring back under control. I got no wheel spin pulling up my unplowed driveway...I think with some snow treads she would be extremely fantastic!!

I havent felt so in control or confident in a car for a long time...so on a scale from 1-10..she is a 9.2( cause of the anti-lock brakes and tires )

I have a '99 OBW that I got to drive in really snowy conditions for the first time today. (unplowed roads and such) With my Nokian WR's it was absolutely amazing. Had the abs kick in once (down a hill) and other than that not a problem. Also got to have some fun in a big open parking lot. I put it in first (it is an automatic so this lock the car into 50/50 power split) and did some big drifts that were the entire width of the lot. Best part is, even when I had lost traction (on perpous) I still felt in control. If you haven't tried some power slides in a big empty snowy lot yet I highly recommend it. :grin:

My XT6 with FT4WD with diff lock was horrid...i had an easier time with my 92 Loyale wagon with bald snow tires on it...This little Imppy with the tires that came on it from factory ( Potenzas ..I think the R23s or something)did really good...I was having a blast...shame there was so much traffic that I couldnt have some real fun.

I sware..everytime I drive this car I love it more and more

Fit some snow tyres. Right now, I'm finding Continental TS810 to be the very best - also for wet conditions.

Of course, you'll lose out on some of the tail-sliding fun. My Forester Turbo wouldn't kick the tail out on compacted snow after I fit these last year.

My Impreza (my 2000) is now wearing these tyres too.