Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The grease seal is simply a rubber coated metal disc with a rubber lip around the outer circumference, which seats into a groove around the outer race. The rubber lip around the inner circumference rotates around the inner race, which is why I didn't want to puncture it with a grease needle.

I had regreased a couple of idlers when I did my timing belt but didn't take pictures. These are photos of an idler pulley I just regreased on my Jeep -- same idea.

I should start by saying that I heard a high pitched pulley wine coming from the engine and took off the serpentine belt to check all the accessory bearings and the idler pulley.

Regreasing is a simple procedure:

-Gently pry the seal up by inserting a small screw driver between the outer circumference of the seal and the outer race.

-Clean things up with degreaser. I used kerosene and a tooth brush, and finished with non-chorinated brake cleaner and blew things dry with compressed air.

-Fill approximately 1/3 of bearing space with choice of bearing grease.

-If you happen to bend the seal slightly during removal, just use an appropriately sized socket to flatten it out.

-After reseating the seal with a socket of the appropriate size, I sealed things up with some RTV around the outer circumference of the seal.

(Alternatively, it's also prossible to work the seal back into the groove with a screwdriver.

You may need only add grease to your bearing as was the the case with the timing belt idlers on my Forester. But as you can see, the grease in this bearing had seen better days...