Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buggy out of wrecked 99 2.5 RS coupe???

jeddy

I was wondering if it would be worth building a buggy out of a wrecked '99 2.5 Impreza RS coupe. The drivetrain is still good, just mangled the front sheet metal, lights, etc. It's an automatic, which I didn't want, so is that bad for off roading (not in general, just from a Subaru stand point)? How does the transfer case work on the RS models? Can you put lockers in them? Any one know what gearing it would have? I don't know anything about these because I was hoping to use an older (mid eighties) car or wagon for the buggy, but I could pick this car up pretty cheap (probably around a grand). If anyone has any info, tips, or reasons why I should or should not pursue this please let me know, or if you know of any links please post them. Also, I read the sticky, but didn't find the info I was looking for. And this won't be my first soob, have had a Brat and a Loyale. Thanks,

-Jed

• 2 weeks later...

No lockers and no transfer case. the subaru case is actually in the tranny. i would leave the tranny because the 4eat isnt the best for off-roading but its better than most. also you can wire in a center diff lock switch to make it 50/50 torque split which is nice. the gearing should be ok for a buggy because the car will the lighter and the car already has lower geared diffs than the older subes do. the engine will have the proper power to really turn a larger tire.