Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got some questions about my 78 Brat

Ok I think it is time to pull the 78 Brat off the road and do some real work on the drivetrain. It is due for a smog check in a few days and I know there is no way it will pass. I figure now is the time to change the engine and transmission. The engine is a rebuilt motor but it has been sitting for a unknown number of years. Never been used. Still has all the holes plugged up from the engine rebuilder. I also have a 11,000 mile transmission out of another 78 Brat. I plan on putting that in too. I need to know if I should replace anything on the motor due to it sitting for a long time. Also, I know the transmission is leaking so are all the seals I need for it still available? If they are not does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can use to reseal it. Thanks,

Richard.

The engine, drop some thin engine oil or some MMO into the cylinders via the spark plug holes. This will help break free the pistons if the motor doesn't turn over by hand. It will also keep it lubed for initial start up. Then disconnect spark and fuel and crank over until you have oil pressure. Once you get oil pressure. hook up spark and fuel, then start it up. Let it run at 2500 rpms for 20 minutes or so, will smoke like a dog from sitting and from the oil in the cylinders so don't be too worried. After the initial start up, be easy on it for 1000 miles or so before you really start getting on it, but also make sure its not a 2 minute drive to the store. Make sure it reaches operating temp before shutting it off. As for the tranny is it leaking from sitting or was it leaking while it was driving? Sometimes seals will seep while it sits and would be ok once they're warmed up from driving and such.

Hey I'm sure that you know your stuff, but I had to post this. Are you sure that you need to put that rebuilt motor in, and a tune-up won't get you were you need to be? I still haven't done the valves in mine yet, but man after I got her properly tuned it was like night and day. She is a whole new car lately.

Rich, just so you know the front output shaft seals are Rancho Grande only... Ive been down that road before.. The rear output seal is pretty common and SLO napa probably has one in stock. For the engine, I actually bought a whole gasket set. (talk to Jims Import Auto Parts, he is a dealer for ITM gaskets, and ITM makes an excellent gasket set)

For the F output seals...

Use a center punch to mark the bearing retainers position and then unthread to replace the seal, then reinstall and then turn the trans over to do the other side. There is a large o-ring that seals the threads, but in my experience those rarely leak because in their 30 years of service they havent moved. Just clean them and coat them in dielectric grease and put em back in.

I might be able to swing by this weekend if you want any pointers.

-Mike

Hey I have this fresh motor and I am going to use it. The motor that is in the Brat now had been sitting for 10 years when I found it. It runs but leaks oil from every spot it can. I have recently spotted a coolant leak coming from it too. So I am going to go that route with it. Hey Mike I would appreciate any help on this that I can get. I am not quite ready to do the work yet. I am going to find the parts that I need for it first. Looks like mainly just seals for the engine and transmission. I will also need to find a new distributor and rebuild one of my carbs for it too. Also, need a new radiator for it. Oh and I need to find a new water pump. This is the earlier version of the EA-71 with the water pump mounted out on the block and not with the back of it on the block.

Just so you know Gen 1 radiators are far and few... I garuntee you there is no way to get a new one thru napa. Best I can offer you is you take it to Atascadero Radiator and they can rod yours. If you need a spare I got extra gen 1 radiators lying around. Keep in mind that an EA81 radiator fits with hardly any mods worth mentioning (drilling a hole or two). and those are readily available brand new. As far as the carb goes, you and I both know no matter how hard you try they always leak the fuel out....dangit..:dead:.. I have spare carbs as well if you need one of those for parts.

-Mike