Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Headlights? not bulbs, the whole thing.

Got an 01 obs. I have been kicking around the idea of putting on some projection headlights(often found on ebay for $170-200). Does anyone know if they offer better performance than the stock ones. I am concerned about getting a better light pattern, not how cool my car looks as I pull up to the mall, to go to hot toppic for some ironic teeshirts, jamming out to fallout boy with my hat cocked ever so slightly to the left.:grin: Your right, I should go with a light bar and driving lights. I have looked extensively for a bumper mount driving light solution. And suggestions? Trying to do it on the cheap.

thanks.

you don't have the bumper mounted fogs? If you do then you can put brighter bulbs in them and set for hi-beam operation (just use as driving lights that go off when on "low") :)

I installed hella micro d fogs in the stock location. I am quite happy with them for short range and peripheral coverage. (in ND we run a deer gauntlet every time you step into the car at night) I am running siverstar ultra's for headlights, wich are quite a bit brighter than stock. But I am am now addicted to automotive illumination. I got use to my 100w daylighters on the old 86 hatch. Just chasing the dragon now.

the projection headlights are THE way to go

i have installed and used several sets of the JDM lights

and although a little wiring is involved they KICK AZZ

and i mean KICK AZZ

they are so worth the money

there is another kind, the are called morrettes(spelling???)

and they are OK, but the JDM projectors are the way to go

i had a 97 legacy gt with JDM projectors and JDM fog/driving

lights and they ROCKED

insanely bright, and great for country roads

Well, while not upgrading the headlights themselves, I replaced my Subie's stock low beam (H-1), high beam (9005), and fog bulbs (H-3) with PIAA Extreme White bulbs and I find that the stock headlights now throw a really good amount of light in a quite competent beam pattern. They are pretty bright.

PIAA claims that the Extreme White's put out 110 watts of illumination. The Extreme White bulbs are not cheap but they ARE very high quality. I'm very satisfied with my Sube's headlight's performance now.

Thanks for the quick replys. I was on the fence about the jdm's. Looks like I just got pushed over. Now it's all over but the spending.

Anyone come up with a simple bumper mount driving light solution without drilling holes in the bumper. ie: light bar or any bracket?

thanks.

there is another kind, the are called morrettes(spelling???)

and they are OK, but the JDM projectors are the way to go

i had a 97 legacy gt with JDM projectors and JDM fog/driving

lights and they ROCKED

insanely bright, and great for country roads

And I'm sure all the drivers in your area love you at night because you drive around with headlamps aimed the wrong way.

Remember, JDM headlights are designed for RHD implementation. There's no amount of aiming that can change the beam pattern. If you want bright lights, try to get your hands on some LHD headlamps from Europe. Europe has stricter (better) light standards than we do.

:Flame:

And I'm sure all the drivers in your area love you at night because you drive around with headlamps aimed the wrong way.

Remember, JDM headlights are designed for RHD implementation. There's no amount of aiming that can change the beam pattern. If you want bright lights, try to get your hands on some LHD headlamps from Europe. Europe has stricter (better) light standards than we do.

yes yes manarius you snobby bastard

i run the english market gt-b projectors

and you can buy on ebay the UK lights

and guess what, THEY ARE THE SAME PART NUMBERS AS JDM

BOOGER OFF YOU PICKY BOOGER:Flame: :dead:

:Flame:

yes yes manarius you snobby bastard

i run the english market gt-b projectors

and you can buy on ebay the UK lights

and guess what, THEY ARE THE SAME PART NUMBERS AS JDM

BOOGER OFF YOU PICKY BOOGER:Flame: :dead:

Yeah, because in the UK, they drive on the left! RHD cars! I will get a whole army of Legacy guys to tell you that using RHD lights on your car is a bad idea if you want.They blind oncoming drivers because they are AIMED THE WRONG DIRECTION.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=25838&highlight=jdm+lights

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=16366&highlight=jdm+lights

Yeah, because in the UK, they drive on the left! RHD cars! I will get a whole army of Legacy guys to tell you that using RHD lights on your car is a bad idea if you want.They blind oncoming drivers because they are AIMED THE WRONG DIRECTION.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=25838&highlight=jdm+lights

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=16366&highlight=jdm+lights

All I can say is WOW! The smug level at legacycentral.org is at a critical level. Good info(jdm out) but about half way through the page I almost shoved a #2 lead pencil into my eyeball!:dead: