Ultimate Subaru Message Board

never fix your exhaust... you'll be sorry:)

83 gl ea81 exhaust rotted off I let it go for awhile... before winter I fixed it cheaply of course, but did a good job, too good... Now I can hear a rod knock, and a baaaaad valve tick, AND toasted front wheel bearings (both sides), AAAAND knocking bad left halfshaft. and yes there's even more...

if I hadn't fixed the exhaust, I would have never heard all this, (sob)

bear in mind that all these problems are well earned for this car, every workday yearround this car goes down a 1 mile heavily used dirt road, (3 feet of snow this year has been fun) up into Newberry Caulderra about 7500ft from 4500ft, (did I mention the snow?) and back daily. It earns the love it needs.

A few times recently this suby plows the trail of fresh powder 1 ft plus deep, passing the stuck large trucks with wide tires, one day passing 6 stuck cars, the last being a truck with a snowmobile trailer turning around, as she passed he said "You won't make it!" the car pushed over the last ruts of the trucks and kept on going...(imagine that)

this car is adjusted for max clearance but otherwise stock...

It runs great thanks in large part to this forum and it's great members helping me master the vacuum crap.

Thank you all!!!