Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap

terryb52

I posted my long story on New Generation board but want some more info and maybe this is the place. I need to replace an engine in a 1998 Outback. I don't know anything about the engine except it's a 2.5. I want to drop in (well someone else will drop it in :-\) a 2.2 after reading what everyone was saying about the 2.5s. I don't know what to ask for when looking for an engine. What year, etc. What else to take into consideration. It's an AT. How do I find a mechanic who will do it right? My regular mechanic said he would only do it with a new/rebuilt 2.5 for $5K. Out of the question. I'm in Colorado Springs. Any help greatly appreciated!

Accurate Japanese. These guys did a great job on fixing my '92 Turbo. They told me that they end up fixing the problems that others create when trying to swap on their own. Quality Tech thought it was a tensioner rod but Accurate said no, it was a rod knock. Do I get another opinion? Knock never goes away. It's driven 3K since first knocking noticed (not by me, previous owner). I called him to get service records after buying the car in IL. My family drove it out here thinking it was OK because a dealership in Dubuque said it was fine!

keep calling there has to be someone willing to do it. call CCR and ask them who will install an EJ22. for $3,000 you could buy a brand new one one from them and have it installed.

get an entire 1995 EJ22 from an automatic and it will drop right into your 98...it'll drop in and everything will bolt right up and plug in. nothing fancy needed.

just swap the EJ25 A/C mount and power steering bracket onto the EJ22, it all bolts right on. it's really simple - look at it this way - you're essentially keeping the EJ25 A/C and power steering (you're not removing them!) so keep the same brackets too, so everything bolts up the same.