Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front tires getting chewed off 85 GL-10

When I bought this car it had the 2 front tires really chewed off on the outside of them. I figured probably not rotated by the previous owner right? Well I put 4 new tires on and after about 50 miles of driving on them I can actually see that they are starting to wear a little. The car drives straight with no pull either way. Both ball joints have the rubber boots torn on them. I know I need to replace them. The struts are shot too. Will this cause the excessive tire wear? Will just replacing the ball joints help? Thanks,

Richard

When I bought this car it had the 2 front tires really chewed off on the outside of them. I figured probably not rotated by the previous owner right? Well I put 4 new tires on and after about 50 mile of driving on them I can actually see that they are starting to wear a little. The car drives straight with no pull either way. Both ball joints have the rubber boots torn on them. I know I need to replace them. The struts are shot too. Will this cause the excessive tire wear? Will just replacing the ball joints help? Thanks,

Richard

I am not a professional but i would say get an alignment. And there are some pretty cheap struts on Ebay i got a pair of rear ones for 35 shipped!

You can check the toe-in yourself - with the car sitting on a level, hard surface, wheels pointed straight ahead measure the distance between the inside edges of the RIMS (not the tires) 6" up from the ground at the front and the back - the difference is your toe. You can adjust the tie-rods to change the toe setting.

Gloyale has it. Wearing on the outside edges on the older Subies is from the toe being excessivly pointed in. Since we have positive camber on our car in stock form, it will wear the tires much faster with it being toed in. My advice, get an alignment done like, now. You can help it with using a tape measure but it will keep wearing them on the outside edges unless its set to where it needs to be.

Man it just keeps getting worse. I pulled off the lower control arm whlie I was down changing the ball joint. Did not like what I found. The control arm bushings are all but gone.:mad: The tie rod ends have a lot a free movement in them. Probably too much. What do I expect with a car with all the original front end pieces from 1985. I did not want to have to replace all this stuff too!