Ultimate Subaru Message Board

25 miles with no water

On my way home last night on the highway my car shot up to the red, I knew the HG was going bad and there was so much traffic I couldn't pull over. The next thing I saw was steam bellowing out the exhaust. I said hell with it and kept driving and the steam stopped after about two miles. I was still 25 miles from home and I did 60 and 65 for most of it but still drove into my driveway and shut it off. You would think that would have killed it but it started back up and ran fine. These cars never fail to amaze me with how tough they are built.

:grin::banana::burnout:

It's good to hear it got you home, but I would advice you to replace the HGs now, they are definately gone by now and coolant in your oil will make short business of your main bearings (if they aren't gone already from overheating)

I don't know how easy it is to come by a spare engine where you are, but for some peace of mind you may want to put in another engine, there is a very high possibility this engine will not run properly for very long.

Thats why I beat the Heck out of it to see what it would take. Just got back from Harrys u pull with a 53 k engine from a wagon that was rusty and had front end damage. I checked the plugs and found them not to have any moisture. I turned it over by hand and it has great compression. If anyone needs a low milage 3at 4x4 its there with easy pickens.

:banana: