Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 impreza outback Brake lights will not go off!!!!!

Ok I have a 96 impreza outback that the brake lights will not go off, no it is not the parking lights switch, the actual brake lights stay on all the time. I took it to a shop and he replaced a switch by the fuse box, 1 week later problems returns, take the car back replace switch again, now it is back again. I have done a little research and have found it may be one of 2 things, emergency brake switch or low brake fluid. Filled the brake fluid, problem is still occuring, so I could really use some help here fellows, my wife would like to use her car and so if you could figure this out for me I would be very appreciative. Jay.

Two things...

1) are we talking about the "brake" light on the dash that comes on when the parking brake is engaged or the fluid is low in the reservior?

OR

2) the brake lights themselves, that should only come on when the brake pedal is depressed?

answer.

1) sticky switch on park brake lever OR low fluid

2) as mentioned before the stopper on the pedal OR a wrong bulb installed in the taillight socket. It requires an 1157 bulb, an 1156 will fit, if forced and short to the brake light when the running lights are on. replace it with an 1157. check the socket for corrosion and loose contact too.

Lewis

I assume that the switch you refered to being replaced is the brake light switch that is mounted near the brake pedal. This would be the first place a tech would suspect trouble of this kind. If that is correct and the trouble is still occurring then it would seem there is something else causing the trouble or the switch adjustment isn't correct. The brake fluid level and hand brake will effect the brake warning light mounted in the dash but not the rear brake lights.

The data I looked at shows there is a wht/blk wire tied to the brake switch that connects to the rear lights. The other wire on the switch is tied to power. Check to see if there is voltage on the wht/blk wire while the brake pedal is not being pressed on. If there is, see if you can adjust the switch position so the switch opens and has no voltage on the wht/blk wire. Hopefully the trouble is just due to the adjustment position. If you can't get the switch to open then the new switch may be shorted and needs to be replaced, but it is had to believe this would happen. Another possibility is there may be a power wire crossed to the brake lights and causing this. If the brake lights stay lit when you remove the wht/blk wire from the brake switch then you have that problem occurring.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It turned out that the first shop put the wrong switch in, the second shop put the wrong subaru switch in, called in the info to subaru with the vin and found the correct switch. No mo problems :). Jay