Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you guys even keep the Subarus alive back there? I have family in Tiffin, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City, and they can't even keep Zinc bodied American pickups from rotting away in no time. Mid 80's GM Pickups are all shot, kinda sad. I bet a second gen Sub is SUPER rare.

buy em from Cali and ship here, or bring from Colorado...

How do you guys even keep the Subarus alive back there? I have family in Tiffin, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City, and they can't even keep Zinc bodied American pickups from rotting away in no time. Mid 80's GM Pickups are all shot, kinda sad. I bet a second gen Sub is SUPER rare.

i am trying to experiment with my Brat "rust proofing" you might be able to search or look at my pics, but I basically have the rear shock mounts closed off....and the entire underside is POR-15'd

Will know soon if that is holding up, when i get to put the lift on it.

I figured that. Do you do anything to them to prepare them, maybe get a few more years out of 'em? Or do you generally just let them rot? I guess there's only so much you could do.... undercoat, paint all the edges, etc.

I moved to get away from the salt. True story. I got tired of having to park my Brat in the winter. Winter is my playtime and I couldnt stand seeing all the pictures of everybodys roos in the white stuff having fun and mine sitting where its safe all winter.

I moved and sold my Brat 4.5 years ago and it showed up on Ebay last week...with a lot of proof of why I used to park it in the winter. Entire right rocker panel was completely gone. I had rhino lined the truck bed and steel wool and ground all rust out and then primered with rustoleum and color match paint everywhere it already rusted and it still rotted.

The ones that see gravel roads on a regular basis are truly the worst. The person that bought it from me lived on a gravel road. I sold it for $2000 when it wasn't rusted out like this. It was at $1700 when the auction was pulled last I checked, probably sold locally or under the ebay table. If you have a nice brat hold onto it they are increasing in value.

f691_1.jpg

Its really a shame. When I was up in Minnesota all the cars had a thin layer of white salt all over them. Is that really necessary from the department of transportation? You would think with the technology we have now there would be some kinda salt substitute that is not so corrosive. But the ice must be melted, when there are single digits for months in a row I guess salt is the answer.

Now that I think of it I did not see many cars older then 1990.

You would think with the technology we have now there would be some kinda salt substitute that is not so corrosive.

For me its called defensive driving and AWD.

In Iowa theres a ____load of people that drive RWD cars with nearly bald tires and no weight in the rear end that actually can drive on snow and ice and then theres the people that CANT mixed in with them and the SUV's. Accidents constantly due to the inconsistancy of speed and skills.

Here in Denver there is still a lot of that here too but the stuff melts almost as fast as it shows up...sun very intense at altitude.

The salt is bad for the environment, kills grass and plants along the road and leaves a huge mess combined with the sand they throw down. It costs millions to do it too. Its rediculous that people are so stubborn that they wont slow down or make their vehicle be appropriate for the weather conditions where they live and drive.

• 2 weeks later...
yep. see my thread in the "older generation" section on pre lift advice for my Brat.

Gotta get EVERYTHING lined up that i need, and work out when you guys are able to stop over to get it started......saturday is my preference.....

yeahhh i get to work on something. what i like about working on other peoples things is that if it didnt work out im not stranded from work the next day lol. ill be there if i can. u plannin on gettin mick down there.

Ben