Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping Factory Cruise Control into a Non-Factory Car???

OK--so I'm in the middle of this Impreza rebuild. The car I'm fixing does not have factory cruise control. The car I'm stripping does have factory cruise. At first I thought I'd stay away from swapping it over because I try not to mess too much with electrical things that can influence the engine. But, upon further investigation, I don't think it will be all that scary...if my assumptions play correct.

As far as the physical swap, is all I need to change over is the actual CC unit and the dash button? (I'm already swapping steering wheels.) I looked in the non-cruise car, and it does have the wiring for the CC unit under the hood, just folded over and tucked away. I'm assuming the wiring is there under the dash as well for the control. Did Subaru use the same wiring harnesses in all Imprezas, regardless of actual installed options? Am I being niave in thinking this will be a "plug and play" operation? :-\

Thanks!

Did Subaru use the same wiring harnesses in all Imprezas, regardless of actual installed options? Am I being niave in thinking this will be a "plug and play" operation? :-\

Thanks!

For the most part, yes it is the same (although the cc connectors are lacking in certain models, like 00/01 L)

In addition to the connector under the hood, there should be another connector under the dash, right under the plastic trimming that is next to the dead pedal, this is where the main unit goes. Also need the switch from the brake (and clutch if manual).

In addition to the connector under the hood, there should be another connector under the dash, right under the plastic trimming that is next to the dead pedal, this is where the main unit goes. Also need the switch from the brake (and clutch if manual).

"Dead pedal"? That's a new term for me. What is that--the little foot rest pad on the far left side of the floorboard?

Yeah--I completely forgot about the brake pedal probably having a sensor.

Thanks for the info, you two.