Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings- Looking for a subaru for my son. Came across a 1997 outback wagon with 200,037 miles on it. Body is in good shape, burns no oil, recently had new tires (GY TripleTreads), struts, timing belt (didn't break or slip, just had it replaced because it was time), plugs, wires and ignition. The guy drives it daily (45 miles one way, highway) and he said the only thing it needs is a valve lifter adjustment. Priced at $3,400, he'll take $2,500. Anyone have any thoughts on this? What's it typically cost for the valve adjustment? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

My 97 has 195,000 on it and is my DD, I would trust it to go anywhere. My only problem was a head gasket as 170,000, I replaced the engine but if I paid attention to the signs of the HG problem I could have just installed new gaskets as the engine ran like a top.

I need the normal maintenace things now like springs/struts, diffs/trans oil changes but it's better than a car payment.

BTW I have the GY Triple Treads as well and they are a good tire for the Suby, they don't handle as well as my Toyo's on dry roads but blow them away in the ice/rain/winter.

The price is pretty good if the interior/exterior is in good shape, and there are no mechanical problems. As long as it feels solid, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying it. I'm daily driving mine about 500 miles a week with 230k miles, and haven't ever felt the need to find a different car.

If that is the year/type you are looking for, I would jump on it.