Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've had a 2.2 96 legacy brighton Auto with 150k for about 5k miles and its great. I have noticed a few things I am not sure whether they are the character of the car or the start of problems:

If I try and reverse gently on the gas out of a parking spot with a lot of lock on the car sort of shudders. it feels like the powers not getting to the rear and the fronts not able to push it back.

This is only a problem untill I give it some gas and it lurches back. I'd rather I was able to reverse smoothly, is this the start of a torque bind problem?

Another thing its always done is when the AC is on and I'm stopped on the brake at lights you get a vibration come up thru the dash. Its like its not idling right and it just annoys me so I end up putting it in neutral.

Also my wife says it is slower to shift from 1st > 2nd than when we got it but i haven't noticed that.

I'm in Savannah and theres no subaru place round here I have found

Hi! I have a '96 Legacy Brighton too. Man I love that car!

If I try and reverse gently on the gas out of a parking spot with a lot of lock on the car sort of shudders. it feels like the powers not getting to the rear and the fronts not able to push it back.

That sounds like torque bind. All tires must match within 1/4" circumference or this binding can occur. It can also be caused from running on a soft tire too long, getting a flat and replacing only one tire while the rest have worn tread, improper towing, etc.

So make sure all tires match and measure the tire circumference. If that is good, change the ATF a few times, sometimes that will help. If it still does it, you might try some limited slip differential additive to free up the transfer clutch a little bit. Some Lubegard black might also work.

Another thing its always done is when the AC is on and I'm stopped on the brake at lights you get a vibration come up thru the dash. Its like its not idling right and it just annoys me so I end up putting it in neutral.

Did you ever happen to replace either front axle due to torn axle boots, etc?

Also my wife says it is slower to shift from 1st > 2nd than when we got it but i haven't noticed that.

Flush ATF.

Changing the ATF a few times should help the shifting and torque bind. It;s really easy, there is a drain plug on the transmission pan, so you don't have to drop the pan like american cars. Change it, run it through the gear position, and change it again. Do this like 3 times, then drive in some figure 8's, using power in the straight X of the 8, and coasting around the U turn. Should take care of your mild case of TB.

This is only a problem untill I give it some gas and it lurches back. I'd rather I was able to reverse smoothly, is this the start of a torque bind problem?

Thi i *torque bind*, but in thi case it's normal. When in Reverse, the AWD transfer pressure is increased to max, cauing binding in turns. As you said, when you hit the gas, it senses the resistance and *turn* and releases a bit to allow the turn.

Believe it or not, this is likely an axle issue. Do either have torn boots? have either of them been replaced recently? At any rate, I would buy OEM Subaru axles only, or you may have the vibration after the new shafts too.