Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok my automatic seat belt is messed up the metal wire that retracts the seat belt came out of the groove it fits in so now it won't do anything and there is a metal cable hanging there, i tried to wind it up manually but it wont go either way even when i was givin er all i got

If you remove the whole unit, you can rip the cable out. Then run the buckle by hand down to the *locked* position.

I had to do this once. The cable had become so chewed up, it would not retract, even with the hand crank.

Or pony up and spend money on a replacement track/motor unit from the J-yard. Problem is that it will wear out eventually too. I hate auto seatbelts.

ther was a discussion a while back wondering if the 90 - 94 us cars had the mounting points for standard seatbelts. apparently the automatic belts were not required in canada. you might be able to install regular belts.

True. You could probably use belts from a 95 or newer car, after they ditched the Auto belt for Dual airbags.

That is probably the best idea.

You can wind it up until you fix it with the allen wrench that is on the inside of the console lid. You will see the socket head bolt right in the center of the reel down by the motor. I have the entire auto seat belt setup for sale also, send pm if interested.