Ultimate Subaru Message Board

still trying to make the jump to new gen :-/ PIX ADDED

ok so this is the third time i have tryed to get intoa newr gen subaru first was the 90 legacy wagon auto with the blown headgaskit 400 (setting for 4 years) next was the 94 impreza 4 door for 600 needs hood,headlight. and kinda has a tick set for 2 years now i have passed them up but a guy made me an offer today he has a 1997 legacy outback limited dark blue tinted windows CLEAN!! its an auto and hasa dent under the rear tail light i think i can tackle that he is only asking 800 and he wil ltake payments. that works for me because i only get 2 checks per month the one thing is it has a blown head gaskit how hard are they on the 2.2? the car runns great but if it runs for a wile it gets hot it has the 2.2 and its AWD :) roof rack flames are etched in rear glass its really neat. im gonna get pics in a bit .

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

thanks for any help Rob.

really it should havea the 2.5 in it ? ill have to check he told me he thoght it had the 2.2 but yeah il check im really wanting to buy it its really nice inside. any one know how hard it is to do 2.2-2.5 head gaskets im an ea guy so noob to the ejs :slobber: thanks rob.

Some 96 and early 97 Outbacks came with the 2.2..I think Gary knows the details on that ( grossgary)

Yup 4 $800 why not..doesnt seem in bad shape the rest of the way around.

And EJs are easier then EAs ( cept the EA81;))

Yes they did Connie, when paired with the manual tranny. IIRC all autos are supposed to be 2.5's

im in it to win it i gave hime the down and heard it run its soo smooth and quiet he said the headgskit is blown but he can runn it and drive it for about a half our befor it starts to get hot he had the dealer do all the hoses and it still dose it so when i get it im gonna runn it and check the over flow for bubbles. im so exited he had aftermarket speakers put in all the doors even the tweeters it is XM ready with the receaiver under the seat and has had the doors insulated so no rattleing. WOOT.

the head gasket is doable - depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Easiest to pull the engine, do it all, HG, timing belt, water pump, hoses, seals (which you will do anyway with a full head rebuild as well. RESURFACE THE HEADS - particularly with a blown HG and aluminum engine)

Parts will probably run close to 600 for the gaskets and the belt kit. You probably want to use the factory HG though (the others don't matter all that much.

Try http://www.theimportexperts.com - they're right down the road in Yakima (They say it should be a 2.5 DOHC in their website, though)

Don't know how to tell you to recognize the 2.2 vs the 2.5 - somebody else can. Probably an engine serial number check.

as near as I can tell, it should be recognizable from the depth of the timing belt cover - on SOHC engines, it's probably 7 inches high - looks like maybe 10 on the DOHC (guessing from what I remember off the 2.2 and the pix of the 2.5 on

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=1653

Parts will probably run close to 600 for the gaskets and the belt kit. You probably want to use the factory HG though (the others don't matter all that much...........

I think it can be done for less.

Buy just you're HGs and the intake gaskets from a dealer (or online subaru parts) Get a cheap ebay Headgasket set (about $40) and just use the cam seals, exhaust gaskets, Valve guide seals(if you are lapping or just cleaning the valves)and valve cover gaskets from it. Cheaper than buying all that stuff seperate. Throw the cheap HGs and intakes away.

now you're at about $150 tops for the HG stuff.

So add $100 for machining and another $100 for a PCI timing belt kit and another $50-75 for a new t-stat, oil, filter, coolant, hoses, etc...... and that puts it right around $400.

Don't know how to tell you to recognize the 2.2 vs the 2.5 - somebody else can. Probably an engine serial number check.

It will be stamped either EJ22 or EJ25 on the top front center of the block.

Also, if it is DOHC (obvious by the shape of the timing cover) it is a EJ25.