Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leak between Roof Sill '90 Legacy

Hi Guys,

I have a slow leak on both sides of the car that seems to be between the actual roof and the Sill.

From what i can tell it is not leaking between the window and the window weather seal.

It's actually coming on on the inside of the weather sheild.

Has anyone experienced this before? and/or had any good fixes.

I would like to take off the Sills and clean and maybe silicone back into place, however i cant figure out how to remove the sills

any help appreciated

cheers

Andrew

i'm having same problem on drivers door.i think it's leaking between black seal too..

if i remember correctly,you should be able to pull the seal off.i found that water can get under the black trim piece that's above the door opening and if there's a gap in the rubber seal then water will sneak in and drip on you..:rolleyes:

anyone here able to find those vent shades that allow you to have window open and not have rain come in..can't find one for my year(wasn't sure if one from a newer year would match up..something like this

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004998/c-10111/Nty-1/p-2004998/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10111/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=vent+shades

i joined legacycentral awhile back,but now can't remember my username and password..gonna have to re-register

May not be you're issue, but I've seen a few legacys that leaked water around the roof rack mounts. The water leaked in from the roof, but then comes out either at the front during braking, or on either side during cornering. It can seem like either the windshield, or the windows are leaking but actually that is just where the water is coming out.

Are you talking about the black trim at the top of the roof? I can't see you leaking there, as they are just decorative pieces.

You may want to post on www.bbs.legacycentral.org Someone over there may be able to help with how to removing them.

Thanks for that, I "think" i have got closer to the problem.

I figured out how to ease the trim/moulding off the roof along the front enough to inspect. That trim butts up to a small chanel in the actual roof itself, together it forms a chanel for water to run along. For most of the length of each door, that trim wraps around to the inside of the door frame. At the pillars between the two doors however it is cut away and relies on a high density foam "seal"....What seems to be happening, is that if the car is parked a certain way, and the rain is sustained, the water runs down into the sill/gutter on the roof, and then seeps passed the foam between the trim moulding and the roof itself.

The water then wicks inside and comes out on the inside of the rubber weathersheild.

After carefully cleaning everything i have tried adding silicone sealant strategically before reassembly to see if that helps.

Looking at the design im surprised more people havent found the problem. I guess it's a combination bad luck along with the age and slow deterioration of all things rubber/foam over time.

cheers

Drew

May not be you're issue, but I've seen a few legacys that leaked water around the roof rack mounts. The water leaked in from the roof, but then comes out either at the front during braking, or on either side during cornering. It can seem like either the windshield, or the windows are leaking but actually that is just where the water is coming out.

Thanks. i think you are close to spot on. Referring to my other reply, i suspect part of my problem has been the flexing of the moulding after roof racks (long since removed)....though in my case it doesnt come in when driving, only when parked and only around the pillars.

You are right though, it does appear like the windows and/or rubber weatherstops are leaking, but that's not the case.

Cheers

Drew

i'm having same problem on drivers door.i think it's leaking between black seal too..

if i remember correctly,you should be able to pull the seal off.i found that water can get under the black trim piece that's above the door opening and if there's a gap in the rubber seal then water will sneak in and drip on you..:rolleyes:

anyone here able to find those vent shades that allow you to have window open and not have rain come in..can't find one for my year(wasn't sure if one from a newer year would match up..something like this

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004998/c-10111/Nty-1/p-2004998/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10111/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=vent+shades

i joined legacycentral awhile back,but now can't remember my username and password..gonna have to re-register

Shoot me an email, I can reset your password.