Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to Enter Remote Programing Mode...

I am having a real hard time trying to get into the remote programing mode for a 99 Subaru Legacy Outback. It has the alpine style remote.

I have followed the procedure exactly as described in the manual... doesnt enter programing mode... Tried it with the brake pedal depressed... doesnt work... Disconnected the battery... still doesnt work Tried everything I could find on this board and other websites... still doesnt work

Any suggestions?

I am having a real hard time trying to get into the remote programing mode for a 99 Subaru Legacy Outback. It has the alpine style remote.

I have followed the procedure exactly as described in the manual... doesnt enter programing mode... Tried it with the brake pedal depressed... doesnt work... Disconnected the battery... still doesnt work Tried everything I could find on this board and other websites... still doesnt work

Any suggestions?

Are you holding the button down on the security module? If you don't keep holding it after the horn beeps, it won't program. You have to press the button until the horn beeps 3 times, and then KEEP IT HELD and press the button on the remote. I had the same problem on a car at work.

My car doesnt have a security system... I think it once had a after market one because the remains of the connector are still screwed under the steering column. Could that mess with it?

Also I got the impression the Alpine models doesnt have a security module. (I looked anyway and didnt see any buttons...)

I also stumbled across that thread and the links, but no luck.

I am really starting to worry that it is that after market security system that is to blame.