Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6-8-08 Goat area

TeamCF

Decided to wander around the Goat Mt. area today to find places to run my R/C rock crawler. (budget wheeler!)

Well messed with it for awhile.

Took a couple "flex" pics then wandered down a logging road that happens to run all the way around Goat to the Colton side. (Yup I found it Chaz! We can wander all over that place now)

Went into a gravel pit and ran across Mike and a decent sized group of rigs. :)

Did a short and nasty hill climb, Hopefully the video of it gets posted.

Played around in some mud.

Then we went off exploring.

Ran down a whole bunch of nice trails. Got a group pic in a gravel pit, and a group pic on a gravel helipad. Found the backside of some gates. (can't keep ya out if you come in the back way, the main paved road was on the other side)

Then all headed home.

A fun unplanned trip.

I think we've wheeled together more by just randomly running into each other on the trails than planned trips.

A few pics. Wish I had more but I still need to get a new card for my camera so I was not clicking them like I should have.

6-8-08_1.jpg

6-8-08_2.jpg

6-8-08_4.jpg

6-8-08_3.jpg

sweet that you ran into other subaru people while out there... oddly enough I was close to going out there yesterday as well since I was already in oregon city... that would have been a really weird coincidence if I had met you all out there...

that area doesn't look like it's in the state forest so I probably don't have a map of all the forest roads... I need to expand my map collection of good forest/logging road areas...

--Spiffy

Yeah, some of it is BLM. Some of the roads I think are logging company owned. (And a gated off part is owned by a gun club) People have been wheeling out there for years though. So as long as they don't go trashing the place and making new trails I think it's all good that we wheel there. :)

There are plenty of trails they go and block off on us. But they also leave lots of them open too. Proly a "This ones fine' but don't want you wheeling through here." type of thing.

It's all out between Colton and Goat Mt. And north of Goat Mt.

I didn't even really plan on it being much of a wheeling trip when I left the house. But then a bunch of cool trails got hit up. :headbang:

Wish I had gotten more pics of trail action. Hopefully Mike did.

well crap Jason.

i thought about possibly calling you and seeing if you wanted to go wheeling, I'm not that far from you. my parents went out of town for 2 weeks and i've been staying out at their place all week. they live up above Eagle Fern Park just South of you and just west of Wildcat Mtn. would have been real easy to meet you in Estacada.

Dammit! oh well, sounds like you had a good time. pretty cool you met up with Michael. hopefully that video will get posted, would love to see it. if the snow wasn't so bad when we was up there with Greg and Gary i would have taken you guys over to the Hillock Burn side and went home from there. last time i was up there about a month ago with some jeeps we ran into some snow that they and a Land Rover Defender couldn't even get through but we we're close.

anyway, we'll have to work on getting all these portland area soobies together and have a subaru offroad outing. it would be cool to get a bunch of subarus together to go wheelin.

:banana:

well crap Jason.

i thought about possibly calling you and seeing if you wanted to go wheeling, I'm not that far from you. my parents went out of town for 2 weeks and i've been staying out at their place all week. they live up above Eagle Fern Park just South of you and just west of Wildcat Mtn. would have been real easy to meet you in Estacada.

Dammit! oh well, sounds like you had a good time. pretty cool you met up with Michael. hopefully that video will get posted, would love to see it. if the snow wasn't so bad when we was up there with Greg and Gary i would have taken you guys over to the Hillock Burn side and went home from there. last time i was up there about a month ago with some jeeps we ran into some snow that they and a Land Rover Defender couldn't even get through but we we're close.

anyway, we'll have to work on getting all these portland area soobies together and have a subaru offroad outing. it would be cool to get a bunch of subarus together to go wheelin.

:banana:

Oh yeah thers no snow going over to the Hilockburn side now. I started over there and ended up just accidently wandering over to the Colton side. :)

We'll have to get a trip going soon. The top of Goat is still not doable (I checked) but it would seem alot of stuff is finaly starting to thaw out. :banana:

sweet little rutty climb!

for the lazy...

I totally could have done that in my stock wagon...

looks like some good times...

reminds me of this: http://easilyamused.com/subaru/outings/images/2002-10-04/movies/JunkieHill.mpg

that was in SubaruJunkie's stock rig many years ago... was a bit too gnarly to go UP with a stock rig though...

--Spiffy

I did it in my stock wagon. :headbang: (Well with Pugs. But a 13"er detrmined with a good line picked out could proly do it.)

Thing you can't see in the vid is the Subaru 360 swallowing hole on the bottom right of the climb.

Gets bigger every time I go there.

It is good times though. :grin:

And I have to fasten my CB antenna better. You can see it flopping around in the vid on the back of the car.

sweet video!!!! nice job jason!! :clap:

wheres that at? it doesn't look at all familiar.

Thats the gravel pit up on the Colton side.

With the big puddle you were going through when we went up with Greg.

That climb in the vid is the one with the big holes at the bottom of itall the way in the back.

There's just no snow up there anymore. :)

WOW, that sure doesn't look the same as i remember it.:grin:

guess i'll just have to go back up and see.:lol:

Well let me know.

I'd like to go out and play too. :)

Could go one evening. Wednesdays and fridays are out for me. But I'm free most other nights. And it stays light later now too.

Well let me know.

I'd like to go out and play too. :)

Could go one evening. Wednesdays and fridays are out for me. But I'm free most other nights. And it stays light later now too.

heck yeah it stays lighter longer, sounds good to me. yeah, wednesdays and fridays are out for me too. but this week is pretty much out also. next maybe but it might kind of a last minute thing we'll see, we've been slow at work and they have been booting us out early so if i get off work early next week i'll give you a call.

How about Tsf on saturday?

Well I think that could be a plan!! :banana:

Let me know time and meeting place.

I usually meet all the built Jeeps and Yotas I wheel with out there at the shell station on HWY 6 just before turning into Browns camp.

Maps and such can be had there.

Oh and could ya maybe burn the vids you have of me on a CD? (hopefully ya still got the old ones from the Hilockburn gravel pit)

I would like the full quality clips. I can give ya a few bucks for the disc and such. :)

Sure thing I will have to find them all but it will happen and I will call you tonight about tommorow

Cool.

I'll be at a b-day party after 8 or so.

Not following the party to the club though so I can actually wake up before 3 in the afternoon saturday. :lol:

Get some wheelin' done! :headbang: