Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did the windshield gasket install tonight

Car: 1979 4WD wagon

Went well. Ran into the dark but got it in. Tomorrow I'll squirt some sealant in behind the upper ears.

Used a rope about 3/16 diameter. Ran the tails out at the bottom near center. Had a helper hold pressure here and there.

Found out afterward that you want that helper pushing down when you go to pull the rope along the top edge. Ended up tucking the inner lip around the metal and ceiling liner 1/2 inch at a time to complete. Needed to since I'd already pulled the rope past those points.

All things considered it went well. I'd say it's fairly easy for just about anyone.

Water test still in the midwest...should be here in a day or so. Otherwise I'm glad for the sunshine so the gasket seats well. If it doesn't rain in a couple days I'll gardenhose test it.

Have a great summer!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I got a windsheild from Todd and bought one of the new window gaskets. I just painted my car over the past two weeks. I removed the old windsheild before painting. It had all that black selant on the glass (the really sticky stuff) Did you use any of that to reinstall or just reinstall dry?

Thanks.

-Daniel

Hello, I got a windsheild from Todd and bought one of the new window gaskets. I just painted my car over the past two weeks. I removed the old windsheild before painting. It had all that black selant on the glass (the really sticky stuff) Did you use any of that to reinstall or just reinstall dry?

Thanks.

-Daniel

Dry,then squirted some clear silicon under the top edge (very thin caulk bead) and under the upper ears thick enough to fill the gap between the glass and metal and ooze out when the the ear was set back down. And,I hit the lower corners too just a bit.