Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the starter is missing. the engine is missing. the wiring was eaten by rodents.

okay, seriously. remember, we can't sit in the car and hear it, see it and lick it. so let's get some information, that's all we have so make it good! do the dash lights come on? does everything else electrically work as it normally does?

did the car run fine one minute then next time didn't start? year and mileage?

the clutch safety switch

dead battery

weak battery

burnt fuse

bad ground

bad starter

bad ignition

if everything seems normal, tap the starter with a few good whacks of a hammer. starter is located on the drivers side top of the transmission, right where it bolts to the engine. below the brake master cylinder. a weak starter is often jazzed up with some impacts like that. knocks the dust around and gives some better contact.

that's young for starter issues on a subaru.

first thing i'd check is to clean the battery terminals. actually remove them and make sure the battery terminals are clean and the connectors that connect to them are clean on the inside. then make sure they are tight.

the starter draws a ton of current so everything else can work but the starter may not. do the lights flickers or dim when you turn the key? and the starter isn't even trying to turn over?

if you have a voltmeter you can see if the starter is getting 12 volts.

most chains like advanced auto parts or autozone will test your starter if you take it in to them.

Well, I cleaned the battery terminals and connectors and that reduced the frequency of the problem. It still occurs though. I tried banging the starter with a hammer but that didn't allow it to activate. BTW, I neglected to mention that the problem never occurs when the engine is cold, only when the the engine is warm. When engine is cold starter always works. Problem only occurs if I let the clutch out too quickly in traffic and car stalls or If I try to restart after driving for a while.

You may want to look up the term "Heat Soak".

Using a voltmeter to check your ignition circuit will help you "probe" the issue.

In the case of the SVX the ignition switch itself wears out and you can lose a lot of voltage there. Sometimes the neutral safety switch as well (in the case of autos)

You may want to look up the term "Heat Soak".

Using a voltmeter to check your ignition circuit will help you "probe" the issue.

In the case of the SVX the ignition switch itself wears out and you can lose a lot of voltage there. Sometimes the neutral safety switch as well (in the case of autos)

I'LL get a hold of a volt meter. 75k miles seems too early for the ignition switch to go. Friends who have OBWs and Legacys haven't had their ignition switches go that soon.

Try jumping the solenoid directly with a power wire from the battery. IF that makes the starter go, your problem is in the line to the solenoid. I'm not all that familiar with the starter circuit wiring - look at what others have posted.

IF you have a high resistance in the solenoid supply circuit (the way to test is to hook up the voltmeter at the solenoid input terminal (not the power terminal) and see what voltage gets to the solenoid) you won't get power to the solenoid. Trouble is that you indicate that it's a problem "warm" - usually these issues are "cold" (hi resistance, that is)

You said that after you cleaned the battery terminals, the problem became intermittent. Check all of the connections and clean them if you have access. Wire brush+clean metal=good contact (and make sure they are tight - warm connections loosen because the metal expands) Even clean the battery cable connection to the starter and any connection in between, too