Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Transmission issue - slow 2nd to 3rd shift

The transmission gods don't seem to like me too much. 96 OBW 126k, AT (98, 75k)

Replaced my 96 OBW AT with a 98 OBW AT earlier this year. The 98 trans had been sitting for a year or more, and it took a couple of weeks to work out all the popping and binding. Doesn't bind at all and works well in general, with one exception.

When the trans is shifting from 2nd to 3rd, there is a delay that seems to be up to 4 seconds (+/- 1 second). During this delay, if I press further on the accelerator, the engine speed does not increase, it just feels like a slow shift - out of 2nd......into 3rd, no slipping.

Just had the fluid replaced, and put in TransX additive, no dice.

I can definitely live with it, seems to be the only problem with the trans.

Any thoughts?

what vehicle did the transmission come out of? swapping TCU's may help...maybe a 1998...were they both out of EJ25 vehicles? i had some shifting issues after a trans swap and it's almost normal after trying a different TCU or two. maybe a 98 TCU out of the same vehicle?

Trans is from a 98 OBW, other than the slow shift there aren't really any issues. There's no surging during the shift, and I can't feel any problems when it shifts from 3rd to 2nd. I'll read about the brake band adjustment. Thanks.