Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attaching car seats in a 96 Legacy

If you are talking about the LATCH system for child seats, you don't have them.

They didn't show up until around 2000 in the Legacy and Outback, not sure about the other models.

Not sure if there is a kit, maybe there is something in a junk yard you can use.

Look at the bottom of this page, I doubt there are predrilled anchor points though. I thought about welding anchors in a long time ago but i just use the seatbelts in my Outback. I am fanatical about my kids safety and I feel this was the best option even considering my welding abilities.

If you find a Subaru kit please let us all know.

I found this a few weeks ago when I was checking to see if my 02 OBW had LATCH.

http://www.subaru.com/common/faq/index.jsp

2. How can I find out more about child safety seat anchorage systems?

Since offering our 1985 models, Subaru has equipped our vehicles with tether anchor points. To inquire about ordering a tether anchor kit for your Subaru, contact your Subaru dealer. With all new 2000 model year Subaru vehicles, tether anchors were included with the car. Our 2001 Legacy and Outback models include the new LATCH system. All 2002 Impreza models include the LATCH system, as well as all 2003 Forester and Baja models include the LATCH system. Unfortunately, there is no retro-fit kit available for vehicles prior to these model years.

So that tells me you can at least get the tethers to strap a seat into the car, even though it won't be "LATCH"... Wonder how much they charge for the kit.

--Nick

The tether is the strap that comes off the upper back part of the child seat(it's part of the child seat), it is another attachment point for the seat to the vehicle. In my Legacy Outback I attach these to the anchor points in my cargo area. On sedans they are located on the rear shelf near the speakers if so equipped, usually hidden under a plastic cap.

FYI: Booster seats do not have tethers.

Gary,

I don't know if this is a consideration for you, but I'm pretty sure that the LATCH system is only rated up to a certain weight (of the child.) I'm not sure if the limitation is the anchors themselves or the seat...I do know our child seat is rated for a much higher weight when fastened with a seatbelt versus LATCH. (This also implies that the seatbelt method might be stronger in general.)

It might not be worth the effort to fabricate LATCH style anchors for an older vehicle for the relatively short time period you might be able to use them for. If memory serves, our child exceeded the max LATCH weight at one year old....

Nathan

(This also implies that the seatbelt method might be stronger in general.)

It might not be worth the effort to fabricate LATCH style anchors for an older vehicle for the relatively short time period you might be able to use them for. If memory serves, our child exceeded the max LATCH weight at one year old....

Nathan

Nathan - awesome, thanks for the information. i was looking at buying a newer wagon for no reason! still looking, but sounds like i might not worry as much about it having LATCH or not. ill check into that.

i guess it's just a convenience thing?