Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just put in new MWE axles, Possible problem

Ok My old axles in my 84 Brat were shot. Making all kinds of noises! The passenger side was the worst. Every time you pushed down on the gas pedal the right side would click louder as I accelerated. So this past weekend I replaced both front axles with fresh MWE rebuilds. Thought problem was solved. Wrong! Now the right side does the same thing as before just not nearly as loud as before. I did not replace the wheel bearings. They did not seem to need it. Could a bad wheel bearing be causing this noise? To me it sounds like the axle has a problem. If the bearings need to be replaced no problem. I have a full set sitting here. Any suggestions here would be helpful. Thanks,

Richard

simple wheel bearing test . . . jack up the suspicious wheel with the parking brake on (to immobilize that front wheel) and give the wheel/tire assembly a good rough shake. side to side and top to bottom. i suppose you could even do this with the car on the ground.

what you are looking for is any play in the wheel. since the brake is on, and the other front wheel is on the ground, you should get no movement from the wheel. if it wiggles, thats a sign of bearing play/wear. usually a bad wheel bearing is accompanied by a grinding noise and feeling in the steering wheel as well.

chris