Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie asks: Wagon options AWD / other?

After going without my '82 brat for about 10 yrs now, I'm thinking about getting another soob, but now a wagon suits my needs a little better. I'm consulting this message board to find out a couple things:

Did Subaru make a "non AWD" version of 4WD that gets better MPG?

What wagon options (engine, tranny, handling, etc.) are out there for $6k or under, and are there any years / models to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the board.

Subaru went AWD in all models after 1995 so that limits some of your options.

You can search the board for answers to a lot of questions.

Here's some short answers.

2.5 DOHC should be avoided, but not run away from, if it has original headgaskets.

2.5 SOHC until 2002 had extenal headgasket leak issues.

2.2 engines are great motors but from 97 on they are interference.

Other members will have more to add but try the search option for torque bind & head gasket to start your research.

welcome - i'm from not too far from you - Uniontown/Westminster MD area. go back there frequently.

a great site for sifting through subaru models, pictures, and options:

http://www.cars101.com/

for the $6k price range you'll be looking at the Impreza OBS (Outback Sport) Forester, or Legacy Wagons. You can get Legacy wagons up to 2000 - 2004 for $6 depending what you want in terms of options and mileage.

the EJ22 is the better motor for reliability and has fewer issues.

the EJ25 makes more power and in the 90's generally comes in the higher end models like the Legacy. 2000+ all Legacy's have the EJ25.

if you get an EJ25 i'd get the Phase II SOHC or 2000+ Legacy EJ25 (some 1999's have this one as well - i think foresters). it's a better engine than the 1996 - 1999 DOHC EJ25.

legacy's are heavier and more solid and typically have a more solid feel and better trim/options than the impreza OBS.

if you like new and nice:

for $6k i'd recommend a 2000 - 2004 Legacy wagon.

you'll be confined to get an EJ25 which has piston slap and external head gasket leaks - do a search for those conditions for more information.

if you want the newer H6 engine, those are great but you'll be hard to find one in the $6,000 range, it'll be high mileage most likely.

if you want reliability (these will be $3,000 - $5,000):

get a late 90's Legacy with the EJ22 - the EJ22 only comes in base models though so you'll likely have to give up leather seats, heated seats, etc.

the EJ22 was also available in the Subaru Impreza OBS up until 2002 or so (the last year of the EJ22). you'll have to decide if that's a good fit or you want the all out Legacy wagon.