Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBW 130,000 2.5DOHC

Well my motor is back in. Took me the better part of the day. The only thing I screwed up is I forgot to plug in the knock sensor, and the fuel lines were swapped so it wouldn't start at first. I almost fainted. But I figured it out and now she runs like a champ. The machine shop had the heads for 8 days but they were shiny new with valve adjustment and new valve seals when I picked them up. Cost was $285 for the full works. My car is like new again. (I hope)

Way to go! So satisfying to get a project successfully completed.

From reading other posts, I thought it was bad to rebuild only the top end of an older engine? Just wondering because I'm going to be facing the same situation soon.

well my engine is/was sound except for the head gasket. So in my case a complete rebuild would be overkill. I have only 130,000 miles. I am by no means an expert though.

I can tell you that the valve adj was worth it because I don't have anymore ticking when cold. It runs super sweet.