Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will 2.2 fit in 99 Outback?

Just bought a '99 outback with a 2.5. Makes lots of noises when running. Timing marks are off on 2 cams, but only by one notch each. I have a couple of good running 2.2's, ( from a '90 and a '92), will they drop in or do I have to tear this thing down and repair it? Is the '99 2.5 any good to begin with, or should I be looking for a different year?

Thx. Jim

which timing marks are off?

if you mean the marks on the belts - those do not "stay" lined up. they are lined up when first installed and based on geometry they only actually line up every so many revolutions.

if you mean the actual cam sprocket/crank marks are indeed off then that's wrong. why not just line them up properly, that's far easier than a motor swap.

the 2.5 motor is fine, keep it if it's running fine and is easily fixed. but that is very suspicious someone would install the belts wrong?

hmm 99 is a cross over year - different models had different 2.5's. the DOHC EJ25 is easier to swap over than the SOHC.

but in 1999 the bellhousing did change so the engine and trans bolt patterns are different. that being said, it's no hard to get around that. enough of the holes line up that you can make i work, you just won't use all the holes. and the starter will only have one bolt holding it in place unless you create the second....something like that. it's doable.

The intake cam is advanced by 1 notch on the left, and the exhaust cam is advanced by 1 notch on the right. It makes a screeching sound which could be air sucking past a closed intake valve, and also a rapid, intermittent, light clattering noise, probably from the valve train.

I will put in a new belt but I'm pretty skeptical at this point.