Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Outback Headlight Issues

My mom drives a 2001 Outback (amongst other subarus that we all own) with about 110k on it. Friday night I hop in her car (to drive to Toronto) and notice this ticking noise coming from the dash, it is the identical ticking noise when one engages the turn signals. Anyways long story short the ticking noise comes and goes, then I notice that the headlights will not turn on (i.e. when I engage the switch to turn them on all anicillary lights do go on except for the headlights).

However, the high beams do work fine, so I thought that it may be a fuse, so I check the corresponding fuses and they are all fine, then I thought to myself that it most likely is not a fuse because when I try to turn on the head lights all the other ancillary lights do go on.

Now this may seem like a stupid question, but the obvious to me now is that the car probably has burnt headlights. I have not had a chance yet to actually pull them out to check (had to ditch her car and drive my dad's 96 legacy to Toronto), but my question is does the 2001 outback have a warning mechanism if the headlights go? I am thinking that the clicking noise coming from the dash and the headlights are linked? Also what are the possibilities of both headlights going at the same time? Any thoughts are appreciated.

if both headlights are gone at once

it's probably a relay... not a fuse.

illumination relay should be in the in-car fuse box

the clicking noise you heard is the relay

I'm going to guess it's gone bad

but this is hard to diagnose via the internet.

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

There is no light warning system that I am aware of. There is a relay for each side of the headlights and they provide power to both the low and high beams. So if the high beams are working ok, the relays and fuses to the headlights are good. Either the light switch position for the lows is bad or both low beam filaments are bad. I suggest you purchase a new headlamp and see if that fixes things.

The only thing I can think that would be causing the clicking is the flasher unit. Make sure the flasher switch is all the way out in the OFF position.