Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a 1999 outback really bad slop in steering. put it up on stands and one of the steering rack boots is torn. when pulled back you can see where the tie rod goes into the next piece is crudded up with rust. there's also at least 1/2 inch the outer part slides over the rod end before it starts moving it. I'm thinking new rack (or used whatever) anybody else? couldn't feel any other play but those seem so loose it's hard to tell.

With noticeable steering slop I'd definitely replace the rack immediately. Subaru steering racks very rarely fail. Nearly every single 1980's Subaru is still rolling around with the original steering rack and they're in great shape. So they're an excellent item to purchase used. Since they rarely fail they're all over the place and can easily be found cheap. I wouldn't bother with a new or rebuilt unit. With rebuilts I wouldn't worry about quality, just get a used one - known excellent quality.

Steering racks are actually very easy to replace. Getting to the two hose lines is annoying (17mm and 14mm wrench needed) and getting the tie rod ends off can be a bear too. Sometimes the best option is to just plan on destroying them with a pickle fork and getting new ones. Makes a two hour job a 2 minute job.

But really it's a simple job - 17mm and 14mm nuts for the fluid lines. 12mm bolt (i think) for the linkage to the steering column, 2 tie rod nuts, and remove the two brackets underneath after dropping the exhaust (just a couple 14mm nuts). Not a bad job, just annoying working from under the car.

The only tricky part is lining up the steering rack linkage so your steering wheel is even when going straight. some folks here can guide you on that endeavor.

With that play in the rack a new tie rod on that side might not be a bad idea, not sure i'd want to reuse one that's been subjected to that slop.

If the boots are questionable on the used on, they're easily replaceable particularly off the car and auto parts stores actually carry nice ones - i think the beck arnley was the ones i just bought for an impreza which would be identical to the ones you'd need. they were nice quality, i replaced a torn boot.

Removing tie rod ends from the steering knuckle is actually very easy. Turn your steering wheel all the way one direction so the tie rod is out towards the fender. Remove the cotter pin and nut, then with a large hammer whack the side of the knuckle by the tie rod end. There is even a flat on the knuckle where you should aim for.

After two or three good whacks the tie rod end will just fall off the knuckle without doing any damage to anything. Repeat for the other side. Of course if the ball and socket joint in the tie rod end is worn out, now would be the time to change it too.

The reason this works is because the tie rod end is a tapered fit in a round hole in the knuckle. The hammer blow on the side of the knuckle is enough to jar it loose. Hitting down on the threaded end of the tie rod end just damages the threads and likely won't break it loose. And like Gary said, using a pickle fork will work, but it destroys the boot and ball and socket of the tie rod end.

Note: This also works on ball joints that have a tapered end going into the knuckle/spindle. Just leave the nut on for a few threads so spring/strut pressure doesn't cause everything to fly apart when it breaks loose.

Not when they're rusted. I've seen many that penetrant, pounding, hydraulics, nor heat would remove. In those cases (often around here) I don't waste much time trying to save them.

If you have rust inside that joint you need a new one anyway. For the rest of the nation that doesn't salt their roads or drive on the beach, the method I described works great and is worth a try first if the tie rod end is still in good reusable shape.

If it doesn't come off with a few solid whacks, then it's time to order new ends and hunt down a pickle fork (preferably with a pneumatic impact behind it).

it isnt the tie rod end with the knuckne that's bad. you turn the steering and (since the boot is destroted you can see where it goes into the rack) that is where it is all rusted up and the outer shaft slides ovewr it before there is any movement to the wheel. I don'think I described it right the first time. I hoped it could just be pulled sideways without dropping the exhaust but didn't really think so :-\

it isnt the tie rod end with the knuckne that's bad.

We know, but it's something that has to come apart when you replace the rack. I'm just trying to save you a few bucks if your tie rod ends are still in reusable condition.

Just making sure I'm describing it right. The u pull just crushed the only one the right year range. but there's a subaru salvage a mile from me who has some and they probably still have the tie rods on them I'll call when he opens.... unless he used a pickle fork:confused:

i also mentioned it because i'd carefully look at and consider replacing the tie rod end that's on the "bad" side anyway. even though it wasn't the bad part, i'd be concerned that incurred more stress than usually due to the failed rack or inner rod. all that slop and extra impact may have stressed it? i don't know, i haven't seen the car but tie rods are one part not to mess with. tie rods are about the most dangerous item to fail on a car.

i've tried sliding the rack out from under the exhaust....even if it was possible (it hasn't been on the ones i tried) - the exhaust really is easy to drop enough to remove it. just unbolt the exhaust from the heads and the one bolt on the bracket and it'll come down far enough to work on the rack, you don't have to remove the exhaust at all.

pretty sure any EJ rack from 1990 until 2000 will work for you so your options should be enormous.

just got back with a nice used rack, has good tie rods already so that will help, picked up exhaust gaskets too so I can drop it. if i can just find my deep creep to loosen the nuts so I can staret taking things apart :confused: