Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle surging. Slow adjusting to altitude?

ok finally got around to swapping in the known good IAC. i sure wish they had just used hex head bolts to mount that thing instead of screws, cause they are a PITA behind the power steering resevoir. I had to grip them with vise grips to break them loose, then fortunately they twisted out by hand after that.

so, ran it up to temp and... it still does the exact same thing. i'm thinking go over it again looking for vac leaks? anyway, i'll be away from the computer for the next week, but i thought i'd just keep this thread alive...

• 1 month later...

Well, I left KC and was back in CO for a few weeks and the surging went away. While I was in CO i cleaned the IAC valve. I then returned to KC last week and fond the car still surging at idle.

This makes me think that what ever is broken is effected by altitude. There being less air in Colorado than here in Kansas City.

So what are my choices? Could it be the IAC is simply faulty? My gut tells me it is something else. I'm just looking for other things to investigate.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went and pulled a IAC valve off another ea 82 in a junkyard on friday. I got it for 12 bucks. So far it seems to have solved the surging issue. But now the car doesn't consistently idle at the same speed. For example, on stop light it will be 1250 and another around 900. But at least it is smooth. Thanks for all the help. Just thought I would post what worked out.