Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retractable Cover parts for '98 Outback

Hi everyone,

The retractable cargo cover that fits in the back of my 1998 outback has a part that broke off - the plastic bracket on the right side that fits into the groove. Does anyone know how I can find this replacement part? I hate to buy a whole new cargo cover. I haven't been able to find one online - the closest thing I've seen is something on dealerfit.com called an "Outback tonneau cover plastic bracket," and is described as a "plastic part on the retractable cargo area cover that hold the cover in place". You can buy the right or left piece, but the problem is that there's no photo. Does anyone know 1) if this is the part I need and 2) if not, where I could find this part? Thank you!:)

Eleni

You're right - it's not broken, but the screw must have come out and the whole piece is missing (this happened a while ago, so the piece is long gone). any advice as to where to find a store/online vendor that sells these? thanks

Eleni

That's the "fixed" side right? All that you need is a piece of plastic square about the right length and then find a screw that fits. It doesn't rotate and just hold the end "there". The end with the spring is the "window shade" I think. drill it to fit the screw and counterbore it if you need to if the piece is too long for the screw

you just need something to hold it in place so it can't pull out

You're right - it's not broken, but the screw must have come out and the whole piece is missing (this happened a while ago, so the piece is long gone). any advice as to where to find a store/online vendor that sells these? thanks

Eleni

Oh sorry about that. Yes that happened to me too.

I believe this page might have the part you seek:

http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partlistbymod.php?model=Outback&subcat=Cargo+Curtain%2C+Hardware&year=1998

Thanks for the tip! I don't have many power tools but someone else just posted the web site where I can buy the parts. Thanks again!

That's the "fixed" side right? All that you need is a piece of plastic square about the right length and then find a screw that fits. It doesn't rotate and just hold the end "there". The end with the spring is the "window shade" I think. drill it to fit the screw and counterbore it if you need to if the piece is too long for the screw

you just need something to hold it in place so it can't pull out