Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cooling system blockage?

Hi, changed the radiator and coolant the other day in my EA82. When we opened the second block plug (the one located above the crossmember) no coolant came out. Flushed it out with a garden hose and it wasn't draining here either.

She only took 3 litres of coolant as well and is not running hot. Sounds plugged somewhere to me. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

By the block plug, are you referring to the one on the bottom of the non-distributor side of the engine, parallel to the ground? I would be very concerned if nothing came out of that one.

That side of the engine is fed by a "transom" passage high on the block near the waterpump. (The little hose that runs from the top of the block to the t-stat housing hooks in to that passage.) I suspect that if the coolant isn't high enough to reach that passage then the waterpump doesn't send much, if any, coolant to that side; but there still should be SOMETHING above that plug.

I'll bet there's a plug of sediment blocking that drain hole. Not to many people mess with that one 'cause of where it's located, kinda difficult to get to. I've had 2 engines with the drain in the PS head blocked with sediment, and had to open it up with a small screwdriver. The end of a coat hanger may be the proper tool for that drain hole.

• 2 years later...