Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lookin for rims and hoodscoop

what kind of wheels u can use pug wheels or diffrent wheels of another gl

or loyale try a junkyard or ebay or if u want a project u can use 6lug wheels from a toyota or chevy and drill 2 new holes thats i did as for the hood scoop a universal one from an auto part store will work ive seen some guys use one off of a sti but the had to make it fit hope

Are you sure about rx's and no scoops? I've seen a factory looking hood with an air shroud that directed the air down to the turbo. In fact the guy drives it around here and he isn't the kind of guy to mod his Subaru, he's overweight and is clueless to the fact he is driving a old Subaru jewel. I think it is a fulltime rx turbo. Anywase I put a hood scoop on my gl-10 turbo. Just make sure it isn't wider than the edges that run down the center of all gl's hood, otherwise it would look silly trying to get it to work. Mine works and looks great with my saab intercooler under the hood. Before I would go up 7+ miles grades and get out at the top feel how hot the intake was with my hand on the "4wd Turbo." Used to be scorching but now with just the intercooler it is cold to the touch at nearly ambient temperatures. On the wheels, I can't get pugs where I am at so I'd either forget it, redrill to chevy 6 lug, buy adapters from sjr lifts for vw or send in your hubs, or buy wheels from allied armament (though I've heard they aren't selling them at the moment.

Hope that helps

Mike is right, RX's NEVER came with hoodscoops, US or otherwise. The XT turbo had a vent for the turbo but it wasn't too much of a scoop.

For rims, Pugs or 13" alloys from a Subaru are your best bet unless you want to go with a 5-lug conversion which if this is a street car, is an awesome upgrade. However it does get costly anymore since the needed parts from an XT6 are becoming scarce. If you do go that route, you can use any wheels that'll fit a newer Subaru with a 5x100mm lug pattern.

Hoodscoops that will fit onto an EA82 hood can be gotten from ebay. They're a cheap, WRX lookalike, but are smaller to fit the hump in the hood. I'm moulding a '05 STi scoop into my hood right now and its not an easy task since it is larger then the hump.

For wheels what are u looking to spend? There are a number of options available for the 4x140 bolt pattern. There are a good selection of factory alloys that look pretty good in most cases. There are also a handful of aftermarket rims. I have a set of enkeis on my car (in my avatar) that i think are the best looking 4x140 wheels available. If your interested in going that route though be prepared to spend a little bit. Factory alloys are fairly cheap at around 100-200 depending on condition. Enkeis going price is a bit north of that.

Are you sure about rx's and no scoops? I've seen a factory looking hood with an air shroud that directed the air down to the turbo.
Mikeshoup and Caboobaroo are 100% correct. The RX never came with a hood scoop. Only the XT coupe did.
In fact the guy drives it around here and he isn't the kind of guy to mod his Subaru, he's overweight and is clueless to the fact he is driving a old Subaru jewel.
Come on dude, use some common sense here. The man's profile shouldn't make any difference. You would be suprised at the variety of people who mod cars. If your "assumptions" about him were correct, technically, you'd still be wrong. The hood on his car IS considered a modification. No harm intended, just pointing out the facts. Never judge a book by it's cover. Maybe this gentleman has more on his plate to worry about than modding his car.
Just make sure it isn't wider than the edges that run down the center of all gl's hood, otherwise it would look silly trying to get it to work.
I have a stock '02 WRX hood scoop on my GL-10 wagon, and it looks just fine. I had to mold the outer edges to the hood. I'm still not done, but I also have limited interaction with my car considering my current location(my car is in Texas).

Patrick

im looking for rims that fit 4 x 140 and a hoodscoop that would fit my subaru

To answer your question, most of the 80's model Subaru wheels are interchangeable. You might also look for Pugs(Peugot wheels). IIRC, you could find them in 14" & 15", but I'm not too sure if they came bigger than that. If you are feeling like taking on a project(and you can find the right parts), you can do a 5-lug conversion and run just about any 5 x 100 lug wheels, clearance(width wise) provided of course.

Hood scoops, well, for ease of installation, find one that measures width wise, a little less than the width of the raised center section of the hood. These can be found for relatively cheap on eBaymotors and usually attach to the hood via 3M double sided tape. There are a few that you might actually have to drill holes so that it will bolt on. In conclusion though, there really isn't a "Right" or "Wrong" scoop that you can install. It is all in what how you want your car to look and the effectiveness of the underhood airflow that the scoop can create. I hope that this helps.

Patrick

Edited by 4WDFrenzy
fixing spelling error