Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA/ER clutches - pics added

According to the parts manuals the XT6 and EA82 pressure plates are different. They may look the same but you should measure the stepping distance. It will be aprox. 0.806" on the XT6 flywheel/pressure plate. The larger 8.78" pressure plate for the EA81 is 0.906" stepping. The EA82 may be the same but I can't confirm that until Tuesday as the rest of my manuals are at work.

The throwout and pilot bearings for EA82/XT6 look like the same part number. The clutch discs are also the same as long as both trans are 24 spline.

Depending upon the pressure plate being used you may also want to watch the pressure plate to clutch hub spring clearance. The 6 spring center hub will offer a little more clearance than the 4 spring variety as the springs are smaller diameter.

Good Luck,

-Jeff

how would i measure the stepping distance? this is what i have, i'm pretty sure its all EA82 parts:

IMG_0787.jpg?t=1228683414

IMG_0786.jpg?t=1228683445

IMG_0785.jpg?t=1228683479

IMG_0784.jpg?t=1228683515

and the redrilled flywheel

IMG_0783.jpg?t=1228683545

this adapter plate is the only one of these parts i'm hesitant to use. it has only one set of holes for alignment dowels and they're oversized at that. looks like an early design or something. can anyone recommend a good adapter plate for a guy on a tight budget?

IMG_0788.jpg?t=1228683593

Measure the distance (depth) of the step between the surface of the flywheel that the clutch mounts to and the surface that the disc contacts. The XT6 will be about .806" the EA82 might be the same as the EA81 or .906" If the EA82 flywheel measures the same as the XT6 pressure plate or about .806 then the XT6 plate will work.

Another way to get an idea if it will work is to lay the disc in the flywheel that you are going to use and put the pressure plate on top without any bolts. The gap between the pressure plate and the flywheel should be about an 1/8 inch or so if it's the right combo. If there isn't any gap at all and the pressure plate sits all the way down the clutch won't hold at all. If the gap is closer to 1/4 inch then the clutch won't ever release when you step on the pedal.

In other words the stepping of the pressure plate must match the flywheel. The thickness of all the discs will be about the same. The splines on the disc just have to match the input shaft on the trans.

I have all three flywheels at work (EA81/EA82/ER27) and I can measure them Tuesday when I go back if you don't have a definite answer before then.

Hope this makes sense.

-Jeff

Edited by XT6 Magic